Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unlock the car using the remote. Pull on the door handle and click it locks back up. I try this several times and it locks me out. I then try double clicks to unlock all doors and I can open the hatch. After a few more times I manage to open the car door.

Now with the door open. I use the remote and unlock the car and without even touching the door handle it locks back up. :| I can hear a relay under the dash click once to unlock and another click to lock back up.

The car did this to me a few days ago and then it worked fine. Untill today. Hopefully it will do it every time so that the stealership will fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My drivers side door does that sometimes. I think there might be some sort of glitch with the auto lock in the car. Mine will only do it once though and just on the passenger side. I hit the unlock twice, passenger tries to get in, door locks on him, never mine. But when I either lean over and manually unlock it or hit the unlock button it stays unlocked after that. Wierd.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Just so I understand, you guys are not talking about the automatic relocking. If I remember correclty:
- If the car doors are unlocked through the remote and the doors are not opened in the next 30 seconds, the doors are relocked automatically.

I think that this was to prevent accidental unlock while the keys are in your pants. Now if you say that they relock right away, there is a problem like a capaciotr that is bad in the ECM (I think that the doors are controlled by it)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no 30 second delay. Its unlock then lock. that quick :!:

Sometimes my car will lock while I am driving.

I've had two times that the car would not let me in :? Unlock using the remote and touch the handle and it locks that quick. Unlock using the remote and before I can even touch the handle it would lock back. In fact I had to use the key and unlock the door and keep the key twisted in the unlock position before I could get it.

Its been a few days and the car is unlocking fine. I hate to waste my time with the dealer. Yet if it happens again I am goining to keep a very close detailed list of what the car did and what I tried..

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
So I guess you'd rather spend 10x+ time in here trying to get it diagnosed? <g>

But you can't argue about the price!

P130-1 of the ETM, pin 12 wht/blu: any point of this wire which runs to the hatch key switch and driver's door key switch that "shorts" to ground will cause a "lock" signal to the Door lock control unit.

pin 10 yel/red: any point on this wire which runs to the driver's door lock knob switch (internal to the door latch assembly) that "shorts" to ground will cause a lock signal to the Door lock control unit.

The most likely switch failures due to use "wear and tear" are the driver's key lock switch or lock knob switch. Wire harness damage is less likely, but always possible. Internal door lock control unit failure is also possible. Gaining access to these switches such that you can mechanically wiggle it can reveal a failure. Often simply wiggling the switch by the means it was intended to be operated is sufficient.

If your keyless entry buttons don't "snap" anymore then this is the culprit.

If your wife also has a keyless unit and its "pay-back time" then pay up. <g>
(She could be locking immediately after you unlock if she's nearby)

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Geee! You have Herbie (the Voks Bettle).
All I can say... bad words... you are very unlucky Cakley. I feel your pain.

(only has a joke) There has to be somebody with a second remote that is locking back after you unlock. That is an unbeleivable problem.

After checking the Service Manual, can you find a new "Keyless Door Lock Control Unit" to try to pinpoint it to the this thing. It is behind the driver side "pocket" (the thing that opens like a glove box).
Maybe check for bad connections? I could scan the about 10 pages of the manual testing for you.

[edit] I see John has beaten me to some points

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Yves M. said:
<snip>

(only has a joke) There has to be somebody with a second remote that is locking back after you unlock. That is an unbeleivable problem.

<snip>

[edit] I see John has beaten me to some points
You know what they say about great minds thinking alike! Wait a minute, that IS what they say! <VBG>

You missed it by less than 60 sec. Better luck next time. <g>

p.s. I think Herbie IS his other car, A TDI volksomthing. <g>

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happened today at lunch time. I push the remote button (yes it snaps back out) and touch the door handle --locks. The wife is about 65 miles north so I doubt that she is the problem. I try three more times and each time I unlock, touch the door handle, locks back up. I just used the key to unlock.

I went to lunch and then back to work and it works fine. Perhaps static build up is shocking the car into re-locking..

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hey cakley, just in case you might want to take the saftey measure I did from being locked out of the car if they keys are inside. Go to a lock smith and they can cut a blank non transponder key copy for like $3. I keep this in my wallet so in case the voodoo locks do their thing and the keys are inside you aren't stranded.

This is something I put on my list of things to bring up right around 35,xxx miles. I still was going to double check that I didn't screw anything up after removing the door panels first.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I'm not the only one with a crazy car. The dealer has removed my door panels before but that was many many months ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a smiliar problem as being discussed here.

My car locks after I shut it off, all by itself. Sometimes it locks with me still in the car, but most of the time sometime later. So I'll come out an hour later or in the morning to my car (in the garage) and it's locked. What gives?

The worst thing that has happened when going to a car wash they drive the car in for you and then they take the keys (for whatever reason) out of the ignition and put on the dash or console. The guess what the car locks and they nor I can get in at the other end of the car wash. They had to call the police to get it unlocked (I didn't have a extra key with me - I carry a spare in wallet now).

Is there a secret button somewhere or a fix to this proglem? Help!

·
Registered
804 Posts
For that very reason, I deliberately semi-shut the door in my garage to avoid the automatic locking.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My car locks after I shut it off, all by itself. Sometimes it locks with me still in the car, but most of the time sometime later. So I'll come out an hour later or in the morning to my car (in the garage) and it's locked. What gives?
This is actually a feature of the "Remote Entry." If you unlock the car w/ the remote (do not touch car) and wait about 30 seconds to a minute the car will automatically lock its self. I believe this is a safety feature in case you accidentally hit your "unlock" button by mistake in your house, pocket, or purse. When the battery is new the remote will work from inside my house so logically it could work if I were in a store as well, so this will prevent your car from being entered without your knowledge or consent. Also, it will lock when the vehicle is parked and shutoff. I think this function takes a few minutes to kick in. You must really like to sit in your car after driving with the doors unlocked. :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cakley,

Maybe your car is mad at you for wanting to sell it! Insights can be such touchy little things. :lol:

Luna

1 - 17 of 17 Posts