Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have an opportunity to buy a 2018 Clarity PHEV and I know there are some people on the forum who own them, or know people who own them.

Now, I know how the technology works, and the different driving modes, and all that kind of stuff. I'm in need of real-life opinions about systemic troubles, noise level, build quality, leg room, driving comfort, interior controls, driving on snow and that sort of thing.

I've been to some related forums. Like many [but not this one], they seem to be full of people who: A.) Whine all the time. B.) Tell others to stop whining. C.) Tell those people to stop whining about people who whine.

I trust you lot (for better or worse). Let me know of any experiences, please.

Also... IF there is a reasonable Clarity forum I might check out, please point me in that direction!

I thank you for your time.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,286 Posts
I test drove a 2019 model and I thought tire noise and general noise was high. I didn't like the high rpms the engine was running. I ended up getting a 2019 Volt as it was much quieter.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Drove a 2018 Clarity for a while. The lane keep assist stinks. Some cool features, but the electronics and infotainment had some gremlins for sure. I didn’t like the trunk, especially the pass through area. Leg room was sufficient but flat. Weirdly the car felt really big, it could be the seating position. Maybe my expectations were too high. Now I own a 2018 volt and prefer that by far.

Reactions: Arbus

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,126 Posts
My parents both own Clarities? Claritys? IDK how to pluralize it. But I've driven them collectively thousands of miles. Took one to Florida last year.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the cars. I think they're great. The infotainment kinda sucks, but I don't think that's important. Whats important is that they are comfortable and they are safe and they are really good on gas if you do lots of in-town driving. I'm 6'2" and I have no trouble sitting in one.

They're very similar to the G3 Insight, I think they even have the same engine, but they're larger and of course have the PHEV capability that the G3 does not. If you sat in a G3 Insight it's like that, except less cramped. I've been driving G1 Insights since 2015 so to me like everything feels too big. The G2 Clarity has the same footprint as a minivan, so it feels huge to me, but then again so does almost every other car on the road today.

If you can get a good deal on it I'd say go for it.

Oh also the rear seats fold down so you can carry long stuff if you need to. It's also got a space in the trunk for its Level 1 charger. Because the battery isn't massive you can get a decent charge on the Level 1 if you're going somewhere that doesn't have a charger. When driving in regular hybrid gas mode (after you drained down the battery) the car gets low 40's MPGs if you drive with like the climate control on and you don't go turtle speed.

Reactions: MparkH

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone!

I now drive an Accord Hybrid and am (sort of) used to the engine running out of synch with the speed of the car, especially when driving in town or picking up speed. It was disconcerting, at first, but most times I can accelerate in EV mode which eliminates the issue. I can feel/hear it shift in and out of EV mode at highway speeds, but that doesn't bother me.

I always turn off all of the "driver assist" crap or set it to least-sensitive as possible. I hate that stuff so it being crappy isn't an issue unless I can't disable it. I hardly ever use a car's sound system, so infotainment good or bad has no bearing. The HAH lacks a pass-thru trunk, so any would be a bonus.

I tried a Volt, but it was too cramped inside (paradoxically, the G1 was the smallest car I ever owned but it really spoiled me for driver's space). The Clarity is almost exactly the same size as the Accord, which I've grown to like, especially when driving in heavier traffic.

One of the things I really like about the HAH is the EV mode, except how short-lived it is. Nearly all of my driving is local. Probably 90% of my time I'm within 30 miles, round trip, but I need to be able to pull off a 300-mile round trip every once in a while, in well-below-freezing temps with slush and snow on the roads, and BEVs just ain't there, yet.

The noise issue is a little concerning. After the G1 almost everything seems quiet but I'm afraid the Accord has kind of spoiled me, there.

I'll ask for a test drive and see what I think. If I don't like it, or can't get a good deal, I'm still in a great car that I like. There's no down side.

Again, thanks!

Reactions: Insight for life

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Very nice-looking. Dark gray. Leather interior, all that jazz.

Get in. Decent interior. Push Start. Everything comes up.
Battery sits at zero (like zero-zero).
Me: "The battery has no charge."
GS: "You don't need the battery to drive the car."
Me: "I'd like to be sure it'll charge. Can you plug it in?"
GS: "I don't have a cable. You really don't need it."
Okay...

Fuel sits at empty (like empty-empty).
Me: "We'll need to stop for gas so I can take a decent test drive."
GS: "Why?"
Me: "Because I need to see if the battery will charge, and then cruise on it."
GS: "You don't need the battery to drive the car."
Me: "Does the battery work?"
GS: "I never use the battery because you don't need it to drive the car."

I shut everything down and get out of the car.
GS: "Aren't you gonna take a drive?"
Me. "Nope. Goodbye. Thanks for your time."
Me, also: Talk trash to myself, out loud, about GS for half the drive home.

The above experience was brought to you by How To Not Sell a Car.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Haha!
Good move, walking away very quickly!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Gonna try again later this week.
Car looks like a near-twin of the one that wasn't sold by "No Battery Guy."
Hoping for a little better luck this time around!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: There will be no Clarity for me!

It has a stupidly huge center console, which I hate. No matter how I adjust the seat, the outside edge of my right kneecap bangs against the stupidly sharp edge of the stupidly large center console, which I hate even more. And in my preferred driving position, my right elbow constantly bumps against the stupidly large armrest on the stupidly large center console, which I hate even more than the kneecap thing.

I drove about 20 miles but was aggravated for last 15. It's a shame, because it's a great-driving car, smooth, lots of power, but it'd be like constantly wearing a pair of good-looking but ill-fitting shoes.

A disappointment. But now I can stop salivating over them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
And in my preferred driving position, my right elbow constantly bumps against the stupidly large armrest on the stupidly large center console, which I hate even more than the kneecap thing.
“I never use the center console because you don’t need it to drive the car.” 🤣🤪

Seriously, though, it is nice to know definitively the car isn’t for you without blowing the $$$. Enjoy your HAH!

- Park

1 - 10 of 10 Posts