Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You people in the U.S. are so lucky!! I just looked at autotrader.com only, and there are 131 Insights for sale!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Here on main land Europe there are 12 !! and the U.K. there are 7 used for sale at this moment!! Never mention about the new ones! What is wrong with those moneysavers in Europe!! When I ever want to buy an other Insight I have a verry hard task, mmmm maybe I should start import them from the U.S.? :roll:

Greetz Windmill

·
Registered
37 Posts
Export

How much does it cost to ship a car from the US to Europe ? I have this fantasy of getting laid off from my job (with severance), shipping my new used Insight over the pond, flying over to pick it up and driving it around Europe for several months.

Then I'd sell it to some Insight needy person and go back home, get a job, and save towards buying another Insight ! Crazy ? Too expensive ? Bureaucratic nightmare ?

:?:

·
Registered
124 Posts
cant yall get the diesle echo in england....it recently broke the record for longest distance on one liter....127 km...wow

·
Registered
741 Posts
Re: Export

dmaurer said:
How much does it cost to ship a car from the US to Europe ?
You can't. The EPA and DOT won't let you do that..... unless you want to pay ~$30,000 bringing the car up to U.S. spec.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Re: Export

ElectricTroy said:
.... unless you want to pay ~$30,000 bringing the car up to U.S. spec.
Eh? Isn't that supposed to be bringing it up to European spec? :wink:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well I tried and tried and tried to get this car (below) imported to the United States, because it gets 90 miles per gallon! Importing it is easy enough, but the government won't let you register it unless you spend ~$30,000 doing emissions tests and modifying it for U.S. spec...

...which I think is extremely stupid. Any car that passes European specs should be clean enough for U.S. highways. Maybe if I classified it as a "museum piece" but then I wouldn't be able to drive it more than 5000 miles a year... dumb.

http://www.volkswagen.de/lupo/3ltdi.htm

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
But that's going from Europe to the US. Windmill wants to go the other way :)

Also, the expense applies to importing the car and registering it here. I'm not a lawyer, but I think if you lived in Europe and registered the car there, you could ship it over and drive it around, just as people from Canada and Mexico can drive their cars in the US.

G

·
0 Posts
stevo12886 said:
cant yall get the diesle echo in england....it recently broke the record for longest distance on one liter....127 km...wow
The Honda Insight is about much more than really good gas mileage. It is about impacting the environment as little as possible. A Diesel, even running on European Diesel which is a lot cleaner than US Diesel, is a dirty engine.

Besides, an Insight is much more fun than an Echo, will outperform it in almost every way and look really cool doing it. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes James you're right!! As soon the dollar vs euro is 2-1 I buy insights in the US like cookies!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
About the VW lupo 3L, I have seen tests and it is quit a disapointment, I think you're better out there with an Insight. By the way, diesels are the biggets greenhouseeffecters on this planet, kick diesels of the earth! 8)

·
Registered
124 Posts
i know they're bad, but if you can get that new diesle made from decomposing plant matter, its not bad....errr, too bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
reasonably easy

mostly depends on the country. With an Insight you're in luck because the car has already been homologated in Europe. Here in France, what happens is the car has to be brought up to Euro specs, visually only. In other words, if you look on the windows, headlamp lenses, etc, if the car is euroized, it'll have an 'E' in a circle, kind of @ only it's an E inside. I've not looked at an American Insight but I'm sure all the windows will have the circled E. Most of the lamp lenses will too with one major exception, the headlamp lenses. Those have to be changed to Euro lenses, at least in France. American cars also don't have the turn signal lamps on the side of the car. In Italy most of the time they require that be changed but don't care about the headlamp lenses. In France they don't care about the side signal lamps, as a rule. Really depends on the office where the process is done. I also had to change the seat belts on my 300 ZX that I brought over with me 10 years ago. Only I didn't change the belts, just the labels. Worked. No prob.

May be necessary to get a certificate from Honda that the car meets euro standards but they may not do that for an American model. That certificate would have to come from the US, the country of origin for the car. I bought my Insight in Germany and had to get a certificate from Honda Germany to license it in France.

Shipping cost isn't much. Just make sure anything that can be picked up and carried off isn't in the car. I picked up my Z in le Havre and the leather covered gear shift knob was gone.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: reasonably easy

enders said:
May be necessary to get a certificate from Honda that the car meets euro standards but they may not do that for an American model. That certificate would have to come from the US, the country of origin for the car. I bought my Insight in Germany and had to get a certificate from Honda Germany to license it in France.
Well Enders you're right, I did also had to get a certificate of agreement from Honda Germany, if I do not get it, no Insight for me here in the Netherlands!!! It is like a car "passport".
Are you the only one in French ? And how is everything taken care for you about warranty?

·
Registered
741 Posts
el_vacho said:
A Diesel, even running on European Diesel which is a lot cleaner than US Diesel, is a dirty engine.
Sorry no. A modern European diesel running on clean fuel is equal to a ULEV gasoline car. You people who think diesel is "dirty" need to stop living in the 80s, and GO READ the latest information.

Please note I'm not trying to offend you... I just get frustrated with people passing around information that's 20 years out-of-date.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Talking of car sales...(tenuous link, I know) did you guys see that Toyota has overtaken Ford to become the world's second largest
car manufacturer ? From memory, GM are No.1 with 8.5 Million Cars sold annually, Toyota No. 2 with 6.75M
and Ford now third with 6.72M.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The head honcho at Toyota was trying to play it down by insisting that it was only a temporary glitch in sales. I'm thinking that at 80 percent of GM's sales Toyota will soon be number one. Toyota owns part of GM and vice versa. GM owns part of Fuji heavy who own Subaru. GM owns Saab and sells rebadged Suzuki trucks. These days it is hard to know who makes what and who really profits.

All this won't dissuade me from buying Honda. Aside from the fact that the Insight is the most phenomenal car in its price range, I just like the whole philosophy of Honda's engineering. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
one of two

Apparently there's another one up in Paris. The local Honda dealer told me about it. Honda France sold it for something like 22,000 euros with a few thousand kilometers on the clock. I bought mine in Munich for 10,000 euros with 3,600 kilometers!

And no Honda warranty, she was already over the 3-year time frame but she has a 1-year warranty.

I'm not sure about your statement on diesels. European diesels today are pretty impressive. But despite claims otherwise, I still see smoke coming out when they accelerate, though nothing like before. Honda is pushing their new Accord diesel big time in France. Supposed to be the best diesel motor on the market. Very sweet car from what I've seen. (Americans will laugh but over here, the Accord is considered a really big car! In the sates she's medium at most.) But I still much prefer my Insight though if Honda produced a hybrid diesel car, that could be interesting. Particularly since she could then run on biodiesel.

Lot of people take long looks at the Insight. Never sold in France but people have heard about the car. Sweet machine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts