Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the 'net today and I found something of interest, to geeks and to gearheads.

A scrolling LED license plate frame.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/8dde/

It holds 5 different messages which you can program into it (easily, I hope!) and switch between them with an IF remote. They're ultra-bright blue LEDs and they hook right up to your 12V battery (or 144V battery?) with included adapters.

What better way to show off the MPG or the beauty of a hybrid than to have scrolling messages? And all that for $30. I think once I get my Insight, I'll gladly put this on.

·
Registered
702 Posts
looks like fun

although very not legal :lol:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hitokage said:
I was browsing the 'net today and I found something of interest, to geeks and to gearheads.
A scrolling LED license plate frame.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/8dde/
It holds 5 different messages which you can program into it (easily, I hope!) and switch between them with an IF remote. They're ultra-bright blue LEDs and they hook right up to your 12V battery (or 144V battery?) with included adapters.
What better way to show off the MPG or the beauty of a hybrid than to have scrolling messages? And all that for $30. I think once I get my Insight, I'll gladly put this on.
I already have one. :) Bought it a few weeks ago but have not had time to properly wire it up yet (I'm not the kind of guy that will just splice it into the brake lights). Also I want to paint the chrome frame black.

Currently I've set it to scroll "65 - 75 MPG City / 85+ MPG Highway". Should anger everyone behind me sufficiently.

I'm hoping that the remote is dumb enough that I can extend the range to the front seat of the car by either using a long strand of fiber optic, or simply by connecting the IR LED to two long wires and mounting it in front of the sensor. I'd like to be able to have several programed messages like "Please don't tailgate", "Get off my ***!" and "If you don't back off, I'm going to throw a handfull of ball bearings out the window...think about it.".

·
Registered
685 Posts
Errr..... I hate to point this out but it might encourage them to get REALLY close to you so they can read the message on the plate frame. I know I tend to do this with bumper stickers with a message in a small font. So it might be counterproductive.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts