Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had read about this happening to someone over at HondaTech and laughed at the story; not knowing that I would end up going through it too.

I was in the process of test fitting a small Bazooka sub into my Insight's trunk area. I stored the Bazooka for a year or so out in one of my sheds.

Anyway, while looking at the tube, all of a sudden 2 beady eyes popped out and my buddies and I jumped back in surprise. (LOL! 3 grown men scared by a mouse!)
It was a mouse and popped it's head out.
While we were figuring out what it was...that it was in fact a mouse...it quickly scampered out and ran forward further into the cabin and somewhere in the floor area! Before we could do a thing.!

I was like, DAMN IT TO HELL! That thing was a fat mouse, but even then, it's gonna squeeze anywhere in the car and I'll never find it again!
I took out some of the floor carpet as I had heard it scratching around there, but to no avail. As soon as we closed in on it, it scurried off into some other crevace of the car!

I was pissed and was resigning myself to the odour of a dead rotten mouse corpse permeating my Insight and never being able to find it nor reach it.

Instead, I ended up getting one of those glue mouse traps.

I put the glue trap on the floor of the car and closed the doors.

Next morning, voila! trapped mouse. Dead too. Must've died from struggling and exhaustion. Stuck to the trap perfect.

Now at least, my Insight is 'mine' again!

LOL!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Mice and rats are a real problem. When I grew up in MA we had cars parked in a shed, and they regularly got infested by field mice. I had my first car, brand new car, trashed inside the clutch mechanism. How they got in there I do not know. Other cars were always stuffed with nesting materials under the hoods. We even had baby mice falling out into the driver footwell on occasion. Very messy. We had dogs, but no cats. Probably a bunch of barn cats would have helped. Out here in CA I had a car which, just as you say for your mouse, had a fat rat staring me in they eyes when I opened the hood one day. It had trashed the under hood insulation and gnawed nearly completely through some wiring. In a matter of a few days!

·
Registered
303 Posts
grosser than gross...

My father and his g/f were in Hawaii last winter and their luggage was infested with roaches from the car interior. Enterprise swapped it no problem, apparently that's common there.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
jsanford, :lol: :lol: :lol: That's more info than I needed to know!

So much for my Hawaiin dreams. :shock:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I like mice, they're cute.

But I do my best to keep them out of my cars. I've seen what they can do, and it's not pretty. An ultrasonic repeller is the best guard. Or a cat. :)

I've had a lot of experience with mice, since both the shop at where I work and my house has had constant mouse problems for several years. After some practice, you get to the point where you can predict where they will go, and catch them with your bare hands! Generally, I try to control them via humane ways, but sometimes the old-fashioned snap traps are the only way to go. I hate glue, since it tortures them as they basically frighten themselves to death.

Your visitor probably made his way into the vehicle via the rear vent under the bumper.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
I like mice, they're cute....An ultrasonic repeller is the best guard...
You are so right Mr. Cake. IMHO, Glue traps are really pitiful. We had house mice (in the walls, crawl space and attic) when we first got our house and the ultrasonic repeller worked great. The mice left after about 10 days and no sign of the little things since then. Could it be that painting a wall orange and my choice in home furnishings has kept them at bay ever since?

Months ago I loaned the ultrasonic repeller to a guy at work and it looks like he forgot to return it...so I cannot give the name of the one we used. But they probably all work similarly (one setting for mice and another setting for bugs) and are available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Squeek.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hmmmm, an Insight with wireless mouse technology. :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts