Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was having the most possible fun with a Honda in my S2000 until this week when I picked up a 2001 MT Insight! The first posting of a happy convert!

This is for our 200 mile one-way commute weekly from our retirement home in the mountains, and I need to drive with my wife and sometimes we plan to pick up few items of shopping in the city. Now, the weight limitation of 365 pounds including the passengers is too tight. We together leave only 20 pounds for cargo.

What would you recommend to do increase that limit by 50 pounds? Simply replacing the tires with wider ones would do? If so, what size would you recommend? Any other things I can look into?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you expect to drive on rough roads wider tires will help, but you should be ok. Just make sure your tires are at least 38/35 psi front and rear. I recommend 45 or 40 psi (also other prefer 50 psi for better mileage)

·
Registered
79 Posts
weight

My husband and I weigh approx. 350 lbs. together. We loaded the insight with 50 - 70 lbs. of luggage and drove 4 hours from the coast and still averaged 64 MPGs. I also have a passenger riding to work with me every day who brings the weight up a little over the limit. I always get 60+ MPGs and have to drive a lot of hills on the way to work. My instinct is, don't worry about it unless you are obsessed with MPGs. Of course when I ride in it alone at 120 lbs, I can average 80+.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While I don't think it is necessary, you may want to replace the front springs with those supplied for the CVT models. They are apparently rated a little higher based on something I read somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Sonds like a good idea Besk, provided they are indeed a different part.

Even more sensitive is the softer rear suspension. One option is to drive with the gas tank 1/4 full. 2.5 gallons of gas weighs about 15 pounds and will take you about 140 miles in a 5 speed or perhaps 110 in a CVT. (Good timing for a break) Topping it up adds about 45 pounds extra to the back end of the car. If you are running heavy you will really notice the difference!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts