Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and gals,

Just want to get some insight (no pun intended) from more experienced owners.

1. Chicago stop-go traffic yields 30MPG or WORSE

2. loud engine noise when its cold

3. sometimes when i accelerate i hear a grinding noise (this is inconsistent)

My insight has about 5k miles on it, just wondering if these things are "normal"?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can't speak to the stop and go traffic (I live in rural East Texas), but we've had weather in the teens and I haven't heard any unusual engine noises, and I have never heard a grinding noise. Back to the dealer I would go!

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
How is your scoring on the MID going? How does your score, mileage, and noise experience compare to 5K miles ago?

·
Registered
34 Posts
City driving ain't the best with traffic lights. The only advice I can give is as soon as you see a red light up ahead, coast. No gas, or brake. I don't understand why people drive as fast as they can to pull up to a red light. It'll seem like you're going slowly, but quite often the light will turn green and you'll still be rolling at at least 17mph or so, taking a lot less energy to get you back up to 30, and you will have not burned up any extra gas driving all the way to the light just to stop.

As far as the grinding sound goes, if I hear the same thing it's very faint, and I believe it's the sound the electric motor makes when it's pumping out the juice. I have not confirmed this and am just assuming, but it's been my experience that this quiet, high pitched sound is coming from the electric motor. Can anyone else confirm this?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Welcome aboard.

What was your previous vehicles fuel economy? 30ish isnt bad for stop n go. It takes a good 10k miles for it to break in. If I am in heavy traffic thats drid locked I key off and restart when its time to move or pace the traffic so I can just idle along riding the brakes.

The engine should be running faster at cold, not louder. Can you repeat the noise in park with parking brake on and your foot on the gas? The prius has an issue with an air compressor like sound from knocking. Try mid grade fuel next fill up and see if that helps.

Grinding noise? I hear a low groan when the ima is assisting around 1500-2 grand. Does the grind follow the assist meter or rpms? May want to get the dealer to check that out. Try sport mode and see if you can repeat it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information everyone! Good to hear that someone is getting similar mileage as me.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Temps. rarely get below the upper 30's here, but I've noticed that the engine is a bit louder at a given rpm when it is cold.

Tire pressues will go down with the onset of cold temps. Check them every month first thing in the morning, and give'm some extra air ...to upper 30's psi at least. Try avoiding hard acceleration followed by brakeing for the traffic light. Instead try gentle acceleration and coasting with the light turning green just as you approach the cross walk. All this could easily improve mpg to mid 40's or highter !

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey guys and gals,

1. Chicago stop-go traffic yields 30MPG or WORSE

Hi,
I've always been a bit disappointed with the mileage in the city with my G2 Insight. My work route every day is 3.5 miles. I drive my well conditioned 2000 Civic to work daily (And I don't drive the Civic anywhere else). So I decided to see what my mileage on the civic was for this work commute that has lots of lights, slow and go, all the things that kill the mileage on an Insight.

After a month, I determined my Civic mileage for my work commute was 23 mpg. Sometime later, and for a few days, I took my Insight on the exact same trip on the same times of day (same temperatures, road conditions, etc). I averaged 37 mpg.

The point of all this is to show that even though 37 mpg sounds low, it's still about 35% better than a fuel efficient gas vehicle when driven under these very unfavorable conditions.

I should also point out that I can easily get 45-52 mpg in the city (los angeles) when the lights are a little farther apart and the traffic is not rush hour. AND, on the freeway, I always get over 55 mpg and frequently max out at 62. (I wish the MID would go higher!)

Drive mellow and do lots of coasting under city conditions. It helps!

I hope that was helpful.

·
3,641 Posts
Hi,
First of all i am glad the Chicago government took such environment friendly steps.
Secondly it is not applied to your vehicle but you should maintain it to increase the mileage not because of only the law but also for the environment cleanliness.
Thanks
Harold,
I think something was lost in tramslation. The original poster was saying he only gets about 30 miles/gallon in Chicago's heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic.
And he has some noise issues either when it is cold outside or before his engine warms ups. He also has a problem with a noise during hard acceleration.
Hope This Helps clear it up.

·
Registered
605 Posts
.....after a month, i determined my civic mileage for my work commute was 23 mpg. Sometime later, and for a few days, i took my insight on the exact same trip on the same times of day (same temperatures, road conditions, etc). I averaged 37 mpg.......
........wow......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts