Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning I got off the phone with my good buddy the injector builder and he said he'd be willing to put all the legwork in to getting a drop in fuel injector retrofit or modification to be able to do 10 lb of boost on a stock insight. This is the start of the post and it will it be updated with information as it comes. Going to try to make a full build explanation on everything that you absolutely have to do. The right way and not adding a stupid 4th injector....... which is absolutely stupid and should never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be mentioned on the site again.
My pain and suffering is your guys's benefit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
How much is a turbo application ballpark going to cost for insight, before anything else? I have a serious supercharger application on my Rsx. Not cheap. Not cheap at all. I have easily over 12 grand into build. The charger without cams or injectors set me back 5 grand and I bought it used. Included custom fmic/rad, hoses, intake, 38-92 snail and other incidentals. Including all the supporting mods I have an alarming amount of cash.
I’m interested. But realistic that a stock k20 swap may be cheaper in long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what's your numbers on a full K20 swap because I'm just starting this I haven't done it before, like I said my post this is just see exactly how much it will cost in exactly what you have to do at the bare minimum without any weird mods. Not trying to be rude but I really don't care how much you have in your Acura. It's not a honda insight. It's kind of like trying to compare the cost of building SBC compared to Ford engine. It's just a different cost bracket.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Injectors is super easy to figure out. 300cc ish injector would be plenty for 10psi on a Insight motor that makes 100whp. Now what control that injector, that would be the hard part.

Doesn't Colorado have emission test? I'm pretty sure you will fail if you turbocharge your Insight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i understand its gana be a pain till i give up and LS the damn thing but i wana at least try lmao.
not in all areas of colorado, on the eastern plains we dont have any emissions. but see your point.

·
Registered
367 Posts
On the contrary. It has everything to do with your proposed build. People have ideas about this and that and that’s all they become. I liked what you propose, sounds like you want to do it right. Pound for pound a kswap vs turbo I’d like to know. What I was saying, and maybe you missed it, I’m not bragging, is that I’m curious to know the cost. My k20, don’t worry about the platform, has over 400 hp from a stock rated 210. If you are going to spend around five grand on your project to make tops 160 hp then I’m thinking let’s compare to the k20 builds here. I doubt it will be cheap but I don’t know.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What I am certain of is that a stock k20, even a3 from an Acura, which is what I’m basing off of will make the same or more hp. You’ll have to mod stuff. Motor mounts are around 500 but motor mounts on stock aren’t cheap and most would need to be upgraded, especially if you go turbo. The ryewire harness is around 300 if you can find one, spindles, adapter piece for control arms, axles, etc. you need to talk to @willie. He is the only guy I know here who has done this.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,579 Posts
4th Injector, 4th INJECTOR, fourth injector, 4th INJECTOR, 4th Injector, Boy I feel stupid doing that!

·
Registered
367 Posts
4th Injector, 4th INJECTOR, fourth injector, 4th INJECTOR, 4th Injector, Boy I feel stupid doing that!
I bet you do. Willie, can you share with us. I really am interested, not in pipe dreams but actual information. Would you please share with us the costs and preparation? Or is there a link you shared previous. My attention was piqued and let down.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,579 Posts
Read especially the first https link on my signature.
The second and third two also have some references.
Cost in parts around $1,000.00.
30 days time build, while still driving the LITTLE RED ROCKET.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont like to brag because too much of it goes on in forums. 12 grand is a drop in the bucket when your family races sprint cars, modifieds, and late models. i just dont like to drop government coupons around the internet. It may seem like i have no clue what im doing (on a honda insight, yes) but i do have a couple of builds ive been apart of that regularly attends SEMA. I apologise for my attitude, but people waste WAY too much money on most of the parts they put in mio thats all.

i suspect everything said and done less than $1000 depending on how the stock ecu reacts. if it hates my idea probably will cuz fabracoble job does, ill either get it working or put something else.

k20-24 is a good swap. ill probably end up doing it anyway, or a motorcycle engine or something. im just trying to have a lil fun with a motor that about had it. everything im doing can be transplanted minus injectors so its not much of an issue. the trans needs fixed, the motor needs rebuilt, the battery keeps dying and then playing jesus. its been a mouse penthouse for 4 years with bad window seals at one point in time so it smells like charlie sheane after an all night party.... the whole interior needs to be redone too.

its a junkyard car im saving.

sorry for sounding like an ***, sadly its how my brain works and i dont mean it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
No offense taken. I was just commenting on the expense vs. return. But a grand is absolutely something I’m in for. The car motors aren’t cheap. But to spend what I spent on my car for a slightly more than average streetable machine, it’s more than I would spend on a 3 cylinder. One of my friends is already on me to source a zx14 motor to swap in. I’m just looking for bang for the buck. A thousand spent on an insight turbo kit, I’d say that’s a doable option over IMA mod.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no clue how much it will cost but if i can get a few miles turbo outta her for around what id put into the main turbo stuffs for a bike or k swap id be happy. and for the bike i just got a wrecked jsx1100 for 100 bucks just now....... so im thinking its getting a bike engine..... after fun has been had. or just strait to that idk now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts