Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 MT Honda Insight, 1/2 Citron, 1/2 Silver
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this video about the Honda N1 where the insight is brought up for just a heartbeat.
One of the guests on the video talks a bit about the similarities between these two cars at around 3:40

Honda N1 video

Does anyone know more about the honda N1 and the parts interchangeability on the insight?
What little I can find is that its a smaller displacement DOHC 3 cylinder with a turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
You can't put the turbo from that car onto our cars, it's too small. If you look up my turbo thread, you will see the difference between the turbo that's used on this car and the turbo I'm currently running. The difference isn't massive, but it's enough that the turbo can't breath properly. A big reason the Kei car turbos are so small is a couple of reasons. Number one, they are power limited, so they want to reach that power limit at the lowest possible RPM to increase drivability. I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet it makes the power they are limited to at less than 2000rpm, and then holds that power all the way to redline. Secondly, the engine is small, so if they ran a bigger turbo, it would just increase turbo lag for no reason, because once again, they are power limited.

[Edit]: I did run a kei car sized turbo on my car, it worked but not well is the TLDR.

Reactions: high_miles

·
Registered
Japanese 05 CVT
169 Posts
Curious it's got UK plates on it. That must be some loophole to get it into the US. Don't think I've ever seen a kei car over here, didn't know you could register them.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Interesting that is 100% Jake from Youtube on the left, at the beginning. He owns an Insight and is a member on this forum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Curious it's got UK plates on it. That must be some loophole to get it into the US. Don't think I've ever seen a kei car over here, didn't know you could register them.
The guys that imported my Insight also bring in Kei cars: The Car Warehouse - Our Showroom We saw a tiny campervan on the motorway last summer, which I'm sure must have been based on a Kei van, but I can't recall seeing any others.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can't put the turbo from that car onto our cars, it's too small. If you look up my turbo thread, you will see the difference between the turbo that's used on this car and the turbo I'm currently running. The difference isn't massive, but it's enough that the turbo can't breath properly. A big reason the Kei car turbos are so small is a couple of reasons. Number one, they are power limited, so they want to reach that power limit at the lowest possible RPM to increase drivability. I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet it makes the power they are limited to at less than 2000rpm, and then holds that power all the way to redline. Secondly, the engine is small, so if they ran a bigger turbo, it would just increase turbo lag for no reason, because once again, they are power limited.

[Edit]: I did run a kei car sized turbo on my car, it worked but not well is the TLDR.
My stock 660cc turbo kei makes full boost at 2k rpm. Peak power around 6-7k. Upgraded bolt on turbo (HT07) makes full boost around 4 and peak power around 8-9k. TD04 turbo is around 6k full boost and 10-11k peak power. But this is with a 660cc 3cyl. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
My stock 660cc turbo kei makes full boost at 2k rpm. Peak power around 6-7k. Upgraded bolt on turbo (HT07) makes full boost around 4 and peak power around 8-9k. TD04 turbo is around 6k full boost and 10-11k peak power. But this is with a 660cc 3cyl. Just saying.
That's awesome! How much of a power gain is the HT07?

·
Super Moderator
9,348 Posts
Cool car :)

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight Automatic
136 Posts
The guest is 100% Jake, he's semi active on here and you can find how he restored his G1 insight on youtube.

Was left out on a farm for like 3 years and then he threw in a fuel pump that he modified to get running again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts