Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know your car requires the valve to be adjusted. I thinks its part of your 36k service. The problem most mechs have little knowledge on the insight and are very busy. Its very likely that they will just say that they ckecked the valves.

To check this place tape, whiteout, paint, etc on the engine cover or valve cover near the firewall. Try and hide it so as the mech will not easly see this. After you get your car don't drive anywhere just pop the hood and check your mark.

When changing the oil ask for the three empty bottles back. This will help ensure the correct oil was used. Plus you pay for 3qts and only 2.5qt is used.

For those who like synthetic oil. Synthtic oil Mobil 0w20 is cheaper than Honda Oil. As is Fram Double gaurd filter with teflon.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,896 Posts
Valve adjustment

Valves are to be first adjusted on the Insight at 100,000 miles, unless they are noisy. If it works don't mess with it.......Willie

·
Registered
243 Posts
Valve Adjustment is an easy DIY project, IMHO. You just need some basic tools, a set of Go/NoGo feeler gauges and the manual. You can turn the crank by putting the car in gear and pulling it (manuals only). On Hondas, it is usually done with the block cold which makes it extra easy. By the time the valves are noisy, it's usually way out of adjustment.

I'm kinda of surprised by people who change thier oil on the "severe" schedule, but put off or ignore other maintence items like valve adjustment, transmission oil changes, anti-freeze, etc.etc. There are advantages to doing these more frequenty as well.

If you want to save money and make sure your maintence is done right, do it yourself. I have no sympathy for people complaining and worrying about the work some shop or dealer did on thier car. Do it yourself so you can only blame yourself.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow flunky, spoken like someone who has everything and is arrogant about it.

I'd love to learn about doing it myself, and do so... but I'm 24, live in an apartment, don't have the tools, the space, etc. and have to rely on the dealership... much like I'm relying on renting instead of buying temporarily while I search for a salary job.

Arrogance. bah.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I used to do all my own maintenance, but eventually, I lived in a place that didn't give me a good space for it, and I found a good dealer. As much as I distrust the sales department at the local Honda dealer, I love the service department. They are not cheap, but my 1992 Civic has 212,000 miles on it and I've never had to add oil between changes, changing oil every 5,000 miles (half way between the severe and normal recommendations, and easy to remember).

The one time the oil filter apparently wasn't tightened enough after they changed oil (that or something else spewed oil all over the back side of the engine and set off the oil light when I drove to work on Monday after a few hundred mile weekend trip after a Friday oil change), they towed the car for free, fixed the problem and gave me a coupon for another free oil change. I'm not even positive it was their fault, but they care enough about their reputation to stand by their work.

I didn't start out trusting them. I've learned to, over time. They have equipment and expertise I lack, and for the money it costs me, it saves me time, and the cost of buying a couple cars I would have had to replace by now if they were American made. :roll:

·
Registered
243 Posts
ucffool said:
Wow flunky, spoken like someone who has everything and is arrogant about it.
Take that anger, That's about how a person who owns an SUV with problems feels when you brag about your insight.

I'm not trying to act arrogant, but I do feel that I'm lucky to have to time, space and problem solving skills to do my own repairs and maintence. I think more people should work on thier own car. It builds respect for what you drive.

I'm just pointing out, like insight owner may point out to an SUV owner, that some people do things differently and I feel that in this case, different is better.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Valve adjustment

Willie Williford said:
. If it works don't mess with it.......Willie
This coming from the guy with "The first and only "TURBOCHARGED" Insight"
:roll:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aaron Cake said:
And why would there be any change of your mark on the valve cover? It would be exactly the same as it was before the service. Now, if you marked the gasket...
Because when s socket is applied to the head of the bolt it would rub the paint off. Also unless the bolt is magicly torqued back to the same then the mark on the bolt would not line up with the mark on the valve cover.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aaron Cake said:
And why would there be any change of your mark on the valve cover? It would be exactly the same as it was before the service. Now, if you marked the gasket...
Because when a socket is applied to the head of the bolt it would rub the paint off. Also unless the bolt is magicly torqued back to the previous amount then the mark on the bolt would not line up with the mark on the valve cover.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW I had my valves checked at the 36k service. I simply requested to have the valves adjusted. I wasn't charged anything.

I've learned to never request a 36k or 7.5k etc service. The dealership will treat your insight like any other Civic. Look in your manual and then read off to them what you want.

I learned this because I was charged for fuel injector cleaner 10.00 then .2 manhours to install err dump a bottle in the tank. I was pissed. 1st 10.00 for something that any parts store sells for less than 5.00. 2nd the insight manual doesn't ask for any extra additives in the oil or gas.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
cakley said:
Because when a socket is applied to the head of the bolt it would rub the paint off. Also unless the bolt is magicly torqued back to the previous amount then the mark on the bolt would not line up with the mark on the valve cover.
Reread your original post. I stated to put a mark on the valve cover, not the valve cover bolt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts