Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A huge tree limb fell on my Insight, destroying the back hatch, putting a gigantic dent in the center of the roof, knocking off the driver's side mirror, not to mention scratching the hell out of it and doing some light damage to the rear bumper.

Here's a picture: http://sweb.uky.edu/~rmbram2/insightsmashed.jpg

Do you think my Insight is totaled? It is a 2003 CVT with 40k miles.
[/img]

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi,

That is sad. Sorry to see this happening to you.

I would say that it is repairable. But because of the lower than usual resale value compared to the high cost of parts/labor, the insurance will probably total it.

Best Wishes!

·
Registered
334 Posts
From the look of your roof I think they will total it. The roof panel can be replaceable from the reading the ECM "Body repair manual", but I think it will cost too much for your insurance to justify repair.

Consider that most front and rear bumper repairs for the Insight run $2500 to $6000. And that's mostly just the labor to bolt on the new plastic bumper cover. Your roof will require someone trained in seam welding and spot welding aluminium (not cheap and labor intensive).

Personally I would not feel safe in a car that had it's roof replaced if it wasn't done by the factory. Try to push for a total.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ouch, unfortunately given the damage it looks like it may be that way. The main issue is with replacment of the roof which requires alluminum welding like said above. In the mean time if you want you can get some idea of what replacment parts would cost at Majestic Honda's site:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... isplay.jsp

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "totalled". If you mean that you've got C&C coverage, and the insurance company will pay you full value 'cause it's too expensive to get it looking like new again, then probably so. But from what I can see, it looks like you could take some hydraulic jacks & blocks, and get it back to where it would be servicable.

Or if you're an experimentalist, you could convert it into the first Insight convertible :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
So what happened, anyway? It looks like the car is on a street. Were you driving, or was it parked there?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It was parked, a storm hit, and the branch fell on the roof and rolled off the driver's side.

Thanks for your responses. If anyone sees an 2001 or later Insight for sale with under 40k miles, for a good price anywhere in the U.S., please let me know. I'm supposed to hear back from the insurance company on Tuesday

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CVT or 5 speed?

Either is fine with me, I think I might actually prefer the 5 speed, because I've always been jealous of the gas mileage advantage it offers.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
james said:
Or if you're an experimentalist, you could convert it into the first Insight convertible :)
You know, I've been thinking seriously about this situation...

If it was my car, I would allow the insurance company to total it and then collect my payment. I would buy the car back at salvage value (under $1000 generally). Building a rear trunk area would not be fundamentally hard (the curve is easy, and a little work with the English wheel would accomplish the basic shape), and the top from a convertable PT Cruiser looks about the right shape (it would need to be shortened and thinned). Structure could be added to the car underneath to compensate for the missing roof...

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Convertable Insight? awesome! I think any Insight owner would be well advised to get a hold of their old car if it is scrapped or at least allow others here to buy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speaking of the convertible concept, my goal has recently been to try grafting my '69 Karmann Ghia convertible body on to a totalled Insight, creating a very stylish eco-car. They have the exact same wheelbase, so I'm thinking it is at least (maybe) do-able. Any thoughts? Any donor Insights (I'd pay salvage value)? Any responses appreciated...

-Dave (in Maryland)

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
looking to sell parts?

Ouch! It hurts to see that!

If youre buying the car back to sell parts, I'd be interested in some front end components that may have survived: see this thread. Or go straight to the pictures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts