Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i think its getting close to trade in time...

Today, on my way drop off my girlfriend, my 2001 Insight started to *Sound* like an electric car, like one of those little R/C Cars that you buy from radio shack

As soon as you started to brake, and the charge indicater started to come on, the car began to make the "Electric R/C car noise" which grew LOUDER the more i braked... This is the same for when i accelerate, the more I push the pedal, as soon as Assist starts to kick in i get the same noise which gets louder the harder I push the pedal

There is No lose in power (everything feels fine) and no me nor my girlfriend do drugs so we weren't tripping out.... wth is going on?? any ideas??

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,960 Posts
Sounds like the IMA motor is loose. Does it have a terrible engine viberation at idle?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does, But i have a broken Engine Mount (waiting for the parts for a few weeks now) so im assuming that is what it is

The Noise is comming from behind me though..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Disconnect power to all your audio stuff. Problem gone?

And fix that broken engine mount. Keeping the engine rocking back and forth like that puts huge strain on your CV joints and axels. You'll break something much more expensive if you don't fix a (cheap) engine mount.

Could also be a rear wheel bearing. The brake shoes force the bearing into alignment when breaking, which results in the noise if the bearing is worn. Have the car checked immediately. A bad bearing can shear the wheel right off at speed (nearly happened to me, DID happen to my brother).

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would have also thought of the bearing... however his symptoms make it unlikely. He has the noise during both acceleration and breaking. So it is not the rear wheel bearings. So by crazy rc car noise you mean the high pitched wine that changes tone with wheel speed?

Hrm... odd. You say the noise happens only when you see charge or assist. So that most definitely would be a problem with the ima motor. I will take a look at my shop manual when I get home and see if that is listed as a symptom of anything. But off the top of my head i remember that most of the noise my rc car made was just gear wind.... kinda like what some cars sound like in reverse if they dont have a helical reverse gear! Your IMA motor does not pass through any planetaries or anything like that so i doubt that the noise you are hearing is gear wind.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All my stereo stuff has been out for over a month so it isnt that,

Isnt the IMA Motor in the front???? It is comming from the back, in the battery compartment, I am also 99% sure it is not a wheel bearing because this is a much different noise

·
Registered
162 Posts
The IMA motor is inside the block between the motor and transmision.

You have a weird wining noise comming from the battery comparment! Not supposed to be any moving parts in there accept maybe a ventialtion fan. None that i can remember anyway! That is weird

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Yep, I think that there is a problem with the MDM module's fan. I think it is used when assit and regen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts