Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"World News Now", their overnight show, ran a three minute piece on hypermilers last night (24-Jul-2007), which included plenty of coverage of the Hybridfest.

(Alas, I wasn't able to make it there).

Plenty of Insights in it.

I've digitized the clip as a QuickTime file and placed it at:

http://www.panix.com/~dannyb/video/hypermilers.mov

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Thank you!

I missed that on TV but really appreciate having a copy of it now in mov format for my miscelaneous Insight clip CD. I'm using dial up so it took hours for the 33 meg file to load. I just let it run overnight and had it in the morning. Great video quality, and nice to see some familiar faces. :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
I was there and it was disappointing how they took their hours there and condensed it to three minutes portraying hypermilers as dangerous geeks practising black magic, echewing numerious common sense (but non-spectacular) techniques that save gas. Al Walker (internet nickname hobbit) is extremely knowledeable on Prius' - could definitely do serious mechanical work on one, but Good Morning America did not put him on the story for that. It had to be for the barefoot hippie image. :(

America sees that skewed picture and goes back to driving liKe Ricky Bobby, then whine at the pump.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Delta Flyer said:
... but Good Morning America did not put him on the story for that. It had to be for the barefoot hippie image. :(

America sees that skewed picture and goes back to driving like Ricky Bobby, then whine at the pump.
I look at it this way: Think of the NASA astronaut who went for that little drive (900 miles, which she just might, might, have been able to do with one tank in an Insight...).

Going after the "other guy (or gal)" is a bit much, but it's common enough that it's not a major eye opener.

That would be comparable to our basic stuff, like checking tire pressure, driving carefully, etc.

However, when she pulled that diaper deal, that's close to leaving shoes out fo the car for weight reduction...

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
They concentrated to much on the silly stuff like leaving the shoes off for weight reduction. The Dangerous stuff like drafting with the supporting statement from the AAA guy. They really didn't offer anything serious about hybrids or modification to driving style like just slowing down a little and not rushing to lights.

Last weekend I was driving my moms Aztec along with her and a few passengers. Some A-hole goes ripping past us to the next light. Me, being used to driving the Insight stayed at a casual speed and accelerated slowly. I pointed out to everyone that the guy who was being super aggressive was only using more gas and would most likely get stuck at the same lights, which he did (3 lights) until he turned.

This alone seems to be the #1 factor for saving gas in a city environment.

·
Registered
702 Posts
thanks for the video

even though i do agree that it sort of portrays us in a bad light, at least it can help me show my friends why i drive so slow :lol:

·
Registered
685 Posts
uhtrinity said:
They concentrated to much on the silly stuff like leaving the shoes off for weight reduction.
AFAIK, the shoes off is not for weight reduction, it's to feel the accelerator better. It depressed me even more that that not only did they focus on that, I believe they got it wrong!

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
uhtrinity said:
They concentrated to much on the silly stuff...
Yes, and they labeled turning the engine off at a stoplight as "bad for the car"!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Armin said:
Yes, and they labeled turning the engine off at a stoplight as "bad for the car"!
Ideling is considered "severe wear". Among other things, it promotes sludge build up because you are going nowhere. I guess the hybrid engineers that put in autostop over the heads of the legal department and recall department have a lot of clout. :roll:

·
Registered
224 Posts
As a clarification, the reason skilled hypermilers don't wear shoes is not necessarily for weight reduction, it's for sensitivity on the accelerator.

In the 60's when fuel economy competitions in the USA were highly publicized, the general advice on how to save gas was to drive as though there were an egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal.

Al "Hobbit" Walker doesn't like shoes, and while it would seem he should have a natural advantage as a hypermiler, that may have been lost because of the calouses. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
On the subject of 'shoes', the person interviewed should have stated that. Of course I am assuming he didn't. Weight savings sounds silly, feeling the accelerator doesn't.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Yep those news people seem to have a story in mind when they do the interviews, and will pull the footage that supports it.

Hobbit and I were interviewed by WBZ tv channel 4 from Boston for a hypermiler piece that will air during the 11 oclock news this coming Wed.

I asked Elsie Nolan the interviewer right up front if they would be portraying us a whackos or people serious about reducing our carbon footprint.
Lets see if they do what they say, and present a balanced view.
They took over 3 hours of video, everything from having a camera record my gauges while we drove and talked, to following me with a camera, to watch the E-wheel raise and lower.
Hobbit said they took about the same with him. They will somehow filter all of that to 2 minutes.
Should be interesting.
The clip is also supposed to be on the wbztv.com website after it airs.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Be sure to record it Mike. I look forward to seeing it. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts