Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello we bought a 2000 insight (red for $1500) a few months ago. We bought it for my wife to drive to work. I was happy to learn she can at least functionally drive a stick after a little practice. It has 189k miles. Was a salvage title, haven't had any Major issues and have fallen in love with it. Though for a family of 6 it is definitely a second vehicle.
Questions:
What is the best oil for it? I do intend to baby it so am thinking synthetic.
Rear view mirror wont stay on and honestly it is so peeled I wanna pitch it and get another. Where can I get one? Do other cars have the same mount?
Trip reset button doesn't work. How involved is fixing that? I'm no mechanic so would probably hire it done.
Gas cover trip doesn't work. Have to pry it open but it isn't difficult we do it with the key. Is that worth fixing?
When I bought it I was told the main battery pack is disconnected but everything is there. From what everyone I have talked to says it isn't worth fixing but I am tempted. Don't want to spend a fortune on it though.
Could use a paint job body is in decent shape. it appears all the aluminium is good the hood has the clear coat pealing bad that is the worst. Plastic bumpers have some dings but look decent at a distance.
The gears grind if you shift down from third to second I have learned to shift to first then second and that works OK for me. Is that a serious issue?
The hatch you have to use the key and the button at the same time to open it is that normal?

Edit:
Drove it again today two more things I forgot to mention. The air-con isn't working (doesn't blow cold) when we got it it seemed weak I assume it is a leak. What are the common spots they leak?

Sun visor on the driver side is floppy gets in the way. Are their any new compatible ones available?
Hello we bought a 2000 insight (red for $1500) a few months ago. We bought it for my wife to drive to work. I was happy to learn she can at least functionally drive a stick after a little practice. It has 189k miles. Was a salvage title, haven't had any Major issues and have fallen in love with it. Though for a family of 6 it is definitely a second vehicle.
Questions:
What is the best oil for it? I do intend to baby it so am thinking synthetic.
Rear view mirror wont stay on and honestly it is so peeled I wanna pitch it and get another. Where can I get one? Do other cars have the same mount?
Trip reset button doesn't work. How involved is fixing that? I'm no mechanic so would probably hire it done.
Gas cover trip doesn't work. Have to pry it open but it isn't difficult we do it with the key. Is that worth fixing?
When I bought it I was told the main battery pack is disconnected but everything is there. From what everyone I have talked to says it isn't worth fixing but I am tempted. Don't want to spend a fortune on it though.
Could use a paint job body is in decent shape. it appears all the aluminium is good the hood has the clear coat pealing bad that is the worst. Plastic bumpers have some dings but look decent at a distance.
The gears grind if you shift down from third to second I have learned to shift to first then second and that works OK for me. Is that a serious issue?
The hatch you have to use the key and the button at the same time to open it is that normal?

Edit:
Drove it again today two more things I forgot to mention. The air-con isn't working (doesn't blow cold) when we got it it seemed weak I assume it is a leak. What are the common spots they leak?

Sun visor on the driver side is floppy gets in the way. Are their any new compatible ones available?
I had a problem with my air conditioner. Two Honda dealers checked it and said I had a leak. A few hundred dollars later it was still blowing warm air. That is what drove me to this site. Somebody had an AC tread that mentioned the AC relay. Twenty dollars and one relay swap later; I had cold AC.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts