Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I’m parked and the let the car idle with the ac on the rpm goes below 1k for a second then shoots up to like 2k+ for a second. It does this like every 5+ second. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Yes, your AC is kicking on and off, that is the clutch on the AC working.
It could also be because of the temp. setting on the climate control. or you may be low on ref. coolant.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
This is not something we have seen before in the second generation Insights. In other Hondas this can be related to the refrigerant level or the control of the compressor. There are relays that kick up the idle when the compressor kicks on. All modern A/C compressors cycle. But your idle kicking all the way up to 2k is not normal. The ref coolant Willie refers to is refrigerant, the stuff that circulates through the compressor, condenser (in front of radiator) and the evaporator (that the fan inside blows across)

I can't remember how many miles are on your Insight, but it's possible the previous owner went out of their way to not use the A/C. This can cause it to leak as the gaskets at the refrigerant lines dry out. You can also loose refrigerant because of a damaged condenser, it is subject t being hit with rocks.

You might look for post about your symptoms on a Civic or Civic Hybrid forum.
I do not consider A/C a dyi repair item unless you are well versed. An electronic sensor or relay you could change, but don't try to recharge the system without experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is not something we have seen before in the second generation Insights. In other Hondas this can be related to the refrigerant level or the control of the compressor. There are relays that kick up the idle when the compressor kicks on. All modern A/C compressors cycle. But your idle kicking all the way up to 2k is not normal. The ref coolant Willie refers to is refrigerant, the stuff that circulates through the compressor, condenser (in front of radiator) and the evaporator (that the fan inside blows across)

I can't remember how many miles are on your Insight, but it's possible the previous owner went out of their way to not use the A/C. This can cause it to leak as the gaskets at the refrigerant lines dry out. You can also loose refrigerant because of a damaged condenser, it is subject t being hit with rocks.

I do not consider A/C a dyi repair item unless you are well versed. An electronic sensor or relay you could change, but don't try to recharge the system without experience.
I think it might be Freon overcharged .... going to take it to the shop tomorrow wish me luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, your AC is kicking on and off, that is the clutch on the AC working.
It could also be because of the temp. setting on the climate control. or you may be low on ref. coolant.

Yup turns out it was overcharged by 40%! Got it removed and replaced with the correct amount. —$60. Blows cold fast and the rpm kick is gone. Lesson learned kids...don’t let your neighbors friend do your ac work. Hopefully this didn’t messed up my new ac compressor.

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
You cheated when asking for help, you didn't give all the details on the AC, esp. recently filled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts