Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have not seen a discussion where anyone actually replaced the AC bearing. Replacing the bearing costs something like $15 or you can replace the compressor which would be a hassle and cost a minimum of $500(?).

Has anyone found a way to repair the aluminum?

As the bearing fails it starts spinning on the aluminum shaft (nose of the AC compressor) and it doesn't take long to demolish the aluminum housing and have a very floppy pulley.

Here's a picture of the shaft. Anyone got a solution? If not, I'm going to try JB Weld on it, but I can't imagine I'll do a very good job of making a round surface. Maybe the best idea is to get it as close as I can and then put a skim coat on it and push the pulley with new bearing on it. Then let is sit for a few days to cure.

I guess I'm not going to learn how to add photos the day we migrate to a new platform, so here is a link to the picture at my wife's photo site.

https://www.synappedphoto.com/Other/Kenny/i-wDrQXbn

·
Registered
137 Posts
That will never work once the nose is worn out by the bad bearing it’s no good it’s done you have to replace the compressor it will wobble and never be true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To save $485 I'm not going to give up that easily.

I have 3 choices to keep AC. 1. Put it back together and use it until the nose falls off. 2. Put a $15 bearing in it and drive it until that breaks. 3. Try to build up the nose with something like JB Weld. Has anyone tried any of these options and know how long they will last?

That is my entire list of options. Spending $500 or bypassing AC are not options at this time. The good news is that I can always revert to those in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude, replacing air conditioner bearing can cost you more than to put the new air conditioner or to buy a new clutch and to install it. First, learn if your warranty is still working. Maybe they can replace your ac on a new one and you won't need to do anything. When I have repaired my air conditioner for a pity my warranty was expired and Andrew who is working in the air condition servicing socool.sg repaired it very cheap because he is my cousin's husband.

·
Registered
850 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts