Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Insight that is out of commission until I fix the AC compressor clutch. Has anyone ever done this before? I would rather not replace the entire compressor if I don't have to. The AC was working just fine until this starting smoking. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it possible to bypass the compressor?

Do you know if it's possible to just bypass the compressor in the meanwhile?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,715 Posts
It's probably the clutch on the AC compressor. If it doesn't smoke with the AC switch off, that means the AC compressor is not seized. If the compressor was seized, you would hear a definate "howeling" of the AC belt.
Clutches can be rebuilt, if you have the parts............
Therfore if no smoke when off, you can drive.

My opinion, (from experience.)

Willie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seems to still smoke with AC off, but no howling

It still seems to smoke with the AC in the off position, but I don't hear any howling at all. I don't have the funds at this time to replace the AC compressor, so I'm looking for other options.....any thoughts y'all?

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
perhaps you can take off the belt, and put on a non-AC belt.

The A/C equiped belt length is 5 ribs 44.000 inch

The non-A/C belt is 5 ribs 37.000 inch.

belts are cheap, around $10-15, so just take off old belt, and put on the new one, avoiding wrapping the new belt around the a/c compressor.

The only problem i can see is that the non-A/C belt while installed not-around the a/c may still slightly touch the top of it... See the belt routing diagrams. You can try it out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes

Old thread but I was in the same boat this weekend.

Penguinguy asked: Do you know if it's possible to just bypass the compressor in the meanwhile?

The answer is Yes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/26554486014/in/dateposted-public/

- You only need to buy a 35.5 inch serpentine belt. Dayco 5050355 at Advance Auto for $20. This is shorter than the recommended non-AC Insight serpentine belt.
- Loosen the nut holding the idler pulley. Turn the idler pulley adjuster bolt clockwise. This will move the idler pulley to the right in the figure in the link above.
- Remove old serpentine belt.
- Put the new serpentine belt in, following the blue path in the figure in the link above.
- Turn idler pulley adjuster bolt counter-clockwise and adjust tension on the serpentine belt. Tighten the idler pulley nut.

No need to buy the idler pulley for the non-AC insight. No need to remove compressor. So far so good, my Insight is back on the road sans AC, and I now have time to figure out / order parts for the broken AC clutch.

Notes:
- May as well put in a new 203-FF bearing in the idle pulley (if you haven’t already). $7 at Advance Auto.
- While you’re at it, take out the rusty idle pulley adjuster bolt and rejuvenate it (wire brush, pb blaster etc). Make sure it screws in freely in its holder, it will save your cursing it later.
- The “355” in 5050355, is the circumference of the belt in inches (35.5 inches in this case). The original non-AC Insight belt is 5050370 (37.0 inches).
- A 5050350 serpentine belt (35.0 inches) might also fit; but it was very tight and I had difficulty getting it in place so I went with the 5050355.

Additional Note:
- When fitting the belt you may find it still a little too tight to put on. Put car in neutral (make sure wheels are chocked and handbrake on), then use a socket wrench to turn either the drive pulley or the water pump pulley to help you "walk" the belt on. In hindsight, if I had done this for the 5050350 (35.0 inch) belt it might have fit.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,715 Posts
Excellent information.....Should be a "STICKEY".

Willie

·
3,641 Posts
George you're back! Great contribution with specific info.
You need to come to Indy in August! InsightFest 2016.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
I just dealt with this a week ago. I was fortunate enough to find an inexpensive replacement, had it fixed in no time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
what a difference ...

Thanks Willie and Pete (Freezin4). I don't think I can go to Indy, 10+ hour drive is a bit much for me.

I had to post about the 5050355 serpentine belt, because it took me 4 trips to the parts store to find the proper length. Hopefully this info will save somebody the time and trouble.

I had started with the 5050370 (37.0 inch; was way too long). Then the 5050350 (35.0 inch; which seemed too tight I couldn't get it installed). Then the 5050360 (36.0 inch), this seems to be an uncommon length as they had to order it (and I had to wait for it). It still had too much slack. Then finally the 5050355 (35.5 inch).

All I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE A HALF-INCH MAKES LOL

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just dealt with this a week ago. I was fortunate enough to find an inexpensive replacement, had it fixed in no time.
Atheos, you had me at "inexpensive".

Did you replace the compressor or just the AC clutch? Where did you source the parts and how much? How much were you charged for the fix?

Please provide more details.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I dealt with a similar issue last summer. My compressor's pulley bearings self-destructed and the metal-on-metal friction from the engine turning it made the nails-on-a-chalkboard screech. After a few minutes, it would start letting more of the magic smoke out.

Since the compressor itself didn't have any problems, I thought I could just replace the pulley/clutch assembly. Removing the original pulley resulted in the partial destruction of the compressor's pulley support structure which made it necessary to replace the entire thing. While waiting on the new compressor, I ran the non-AC belt to keep it on the road. No other parts were required with the AC pulley removed.

https://youtu.be/gZGkyPxjFv4

To get the A/C running again (leak-free), I ended up getting a new compressor, dryer, condenser, expansion valve, low-side filler valve, and the line that runs from the compressor to the condenser.

A/C systems are fussy. If your car is 10+ years old, don't be surprised if it costs $2,000 to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Thanks Willie and Pete (Freezin4). I don't think I can go to Indy, 10+ hour drive is a bit much for me.

I had to post about the 5050355 serpentine belt, because it took me 4 trips to the parts store to find the proper length. Hopefully this info will save somebody the time and trouble.

I had started with the 5050370 (37.0 inch; was way too long). Then the 5050350 (35.0 inch; which seemed too tight I couldn't get it installed). Then the 5050360 (36.0 inch), this seems to be an uncommon length as they had to order it (and I had to wait for it). It still had too much slack. Then finally the 5050355 (35.5 inch).

All I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE A HALF-INCH MAKES LOL
You saved me! I used geocougar's fix after my a/c compressor was exactly like Gadget01's. There was so much play my belt jumped one rib and shredded it off. Thankfully, still had the other four. I went with the Dayco 5050355 belt at Autozone, it was $18. The closest parts store two miles away and I had to leg it.

Even with the a/c tensioner backed out all the way I still had to make three attempts to get this belt on. It was pretty tight. I don't think the slightly smaller 35.0" belt would be worth a gamble.

Tools I used
Phillips screw driver (for the splash shield screw)
Flat head screw driver (for the plastic fasteners on the splash shield)
10mm socket (for one splash shield bolt and the pulley on the tensioner)
8mm wrench (the tensioner adjusting bolt)
19mm socket (for the lug nuts and crankshaft bolt to turn the engine in neutral)

It was hopeless for me to get at this stuff from the top, so I removed the splash shield (two pop out plastic fasteners, one phillips screw, one 10mm bolt). I highly suggest taking the wheel off to make access easier, but I was able to do it with extra frustration with the wheels turned all the way to the right.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Atheos, you had me at "inexpensive".

Did you replace the compressor or just the AC clutch? Where did you source the parts and how much? How much were you charged for the fix?

Please provide more details.
sorry for the very late reply, just now seeing this.
I sourced a used compressor on Ebay for $60. I replaced it myself, but paid Firestone to remove/recharge the coolant ($115). Works good as new.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts