Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks to everyone in this thread! You guys saved me so much time and money considering I will not need AC until next year down here in TN which gives me time to figure out what route I will take to fix the compressor before the summer. Especially thank you to both geocougar and fusion210 for the detailed instructions, I had never taken the belt off this car and your instructions were perfect! Can't thank you guys enough!! Quick note, the bolt on my pulley attached to the tensioner was a 12mm instead of a 10mm so this may be the case for some others as well.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You would need to buy the clutch from honda so just change the compressor and dryer. This is what i did. Compressor is 225 dryer is 15 or so. You can buy the clutch bearing if that is what is wrong for 20 dollars or so. Then remove clutch replace bearing and reasemble clutch. In my case the clutch friction plate and bearing were worn. If you do by a compressor i would buy new not rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Yes

Old thread but I was in the same boat this weekend.

Penguinguy asked: Do you know if it's possible to just bypass the compressor in the meanwhile?

The answer is Yes:

https://flic.kr/p/GswFxL
  • You only need to buy a 35.5 inch serpentine belt. Dayco 5050355 at Advance Auto for $20. This is shorter than the recommended non-AC Insight serpentine belt.
  • Loosen the nut holding the idler pulley. Turn the idler pulley adjuster bolt clockwise. This will move the idler pulley to the right in the figure in the link above.
  • Remove old serpentine belt.
  • Put the new serpentine belt in, following the blue path in the figure in the link above.
  • Turn idler pulley adjuster bolt counter-clockwise and adjust tension on the serpentine belt. Tighten the idler pulley nut.
No need to buy the idler pulley for the non-AC insight. No need to remove compressor. So far so good, my Insight is back on the road sans AC, and I now have time to figure out / order parts for the broken AC clutch.

Notes:
  • May as well put in a new 203-FF bearing in the idle pulley (if you haven’t already). $7 at Advance Auto.
  • While you’re at it, take out the rusty idle pulley adjuster bolt and rejuvenate it (wire brush, pb blaster etc). Make sure it screws in freely in its holder, it will save your cursing it later.
  • The “355” in 5050355, is the circumference of the belt in inches (35.5 inches in this case). The original non-AC Insight belt is 5050370 (37.0 inches).
  • A 5050350 serpentine belt (35.0 inches) might also fit; but it was very tight and I had difficulty getting it in place so I went with the 5050355.
Additional Note:
- When fitting the belt you may find it still a little too tight to put on. Put car in neutral (make sure wheels are chocked and handbrake on), then use a socket wrench to turn either the drive pulley or the water pump pulley to help you "walk" the belt on. In hindsight, if I had done this for the 5050350 (35.0 inch) belt it might have fit.

Warning, this belt doesn't work. Bought that exact belt and you can't get it tight enough. I have the adjustment pulley all the way turned couter clockwise and the belt is loose.

Dayco 5050355

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
@insightbuyer
You do realize when you use a shorter belt to eliminate the A/C compressor, the belt goes on the other side of the idler pulley and the adjustment is opposite of with A/C. Did you do this?

Scott

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
You have to turn the adjuster.

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Also, while you are bypassing for now the idler pulleys are different for A/C type and Non A/C. The A/C type is smooth as it rides on the smooth back side of the belt. The non A/C idler pulley is ribbed to match the ribs on the belt and ride on the ribbed side. While the idler will probably work for a while running a smooth idler over the ribs, over a long time it may cause more wear on the belt.

Scott

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I wish you were right but you are incorrect. To use the 35.5" belt or Dayco 5050355. In the post you tension the belt on the smooth side. He explains this in his post.
Just read the post and look at the picture. This is post 12

There is no way you will be able to get the belt over the tension pulley. It was hard enough to get the belt on the big pulley and water pump pulley.

There is not enough tension to make the belt tight after getting it onto the two pulleys. But the belt is not long enough to go over the tension pulley. I have no idea how this guy got this belt to tighten down.

- You only need to buy a 35.5 inch serpentine belt. Dayco 5050355 at Advance Auto for $20. This is shorter than the recommended non-AC Insight serpentine belt.
- Loosen the nut holding the idler pulley. Turn the idler pulley adjuster bolt clockwise. This will move the idler pulley to the right in the figure in the link above.
  • Remove old serpentine belt.
  • Put the new serpentine belt in, following the blue path in the figure in the link above.
  • Turn idler pulley adjuster bolt counter-clockwise and adjust tension on the serpentine belt. Tighten the idler pulley nut.

No need to buy the idler pulley for the non-AC insight. No need to remove compressor. So far so good, my Insight is back on the road sans AC, and I now have time to figure out / order parts for the broken AC clutch.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Any idea why his belt worked but mine will not? Is this tolerances in the the way the cars were buillt?

Do you think going with a smaller belt, a 35" belt, from the belt that does not work a 35.5" belt, will probably work in my case? Or basically going with a .5" smaller belt may do the trick in my case if the belt is too loose?

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
So I decided to reevaluate the belt. Its not so loose and seems to work OK.

First, the belt takes a little force to get over the pulleys and on with the tension pulley backed off fully.

With the tension pulley fully tightened it is somewhat loose, but seems to work. I'm not really sure how tight this should be. The way I figure is its only pulling the water pump so how tight does it really need to be?

My question to you is, will I get away with this until I fix my A/C? Am I crazy to keep it like this and should get the belt .5" smaller?

In my opinion, it probably slightly too loose, but for a couple of weeks of commuting to work it should be OK since there isn't much resistance with the water pump.

Please take a look at my videos and give me your opinion. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
Agreed, it is way loose.

·
Registered
168 Posts
@insightbuyer, we know this also worked for Fusion210 and gabewall.

I don't remember now, but is "5050355" stamped on the belt? Could you possibly have received an incorrect belt? Maybe ask for another "5050355" belt and compare the 2 belts.

The belts come loosely packed like this image below. Maybe Autozone packed the wrong belt in the wrong carton (just guessing).

I had also included this note:
- When fitting the belt you may find it still a little too tight to put on. Put car in neutral (make sure wheels are chocked and handbrake on), then use a socket wrench to turn either the drive pulley or the water pump pulley to help you "walk" the belt on. In hindsight, if I had done this for the 5050350 (35.0 inch) belt it might have fit.

Maybe this picture will help:

I agree, currently your belt is kinda loose. I would buy several sizes of the belts, then just return the ones you didn't use later.

Good luck. And don't give up!

George

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Thanks, I will go buy the 35.5" belt.

I will check the size to make sure, I was thinking about measuring it also but will look for the numbers on the belt.

Do you think the 35" belt will work for me, or may I need to go with a 34.5" or an inch smaller?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think the 35.0 inch will be very tight (to install). But I believe it can be fitted using the method described above (I did say this in my 2016 post).

BTW I never got to fix my compressor. The belt's been there 4 years now.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I installed the 35" belt or the part number Dayco 5050350

This was way tighter and also more difficult to install. I used the method mentioned above by cranking the drive pulley. The belt kept coming off at the top pulley when I did this so I had my father use wood to help the belt stay on the top pulley when I cranked, then it stayed on.

It is a lot tighter, I'm not sure if its too tight or not, there is some play in it. I can also twist the belt 90 degrees by pinching it, I saw online where they used this as a test.

The one issue and question I have is I am not using the idle tension pulley because there was no need to tension it.

Can someone tell me if I need the Idler tension pulley if its tight enough without it?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts