Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insights A/C compressor isn't engaging and when i checked the low pressure service port into see if it needed more refrigerant, it was extremely high pressure. I've already replaced the fuse and both relays and it didn't change anything. Does anyone have suggestions on what could be wrong or how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Curious also, I added refrigerant to my car and now it seems my A/C blows cold at first then doesn't work anymore.

I noticed when trying to get 25PSI on the low side, the high side had like 215 PSI. It seemed high considering the chart said I should be around 190 PSI.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Restriction in the system can cause high pressures

·
Linsight Designer
1,930 Posts
HVAC clutch is disabled when the pressure is too high OR too low... the first thing is to evacuate the system down to the expected behavior... then see if it works. It's possible a previous owner overfilled the G1's small HVAC system with a trash-fill can (from an auto-parts store).

If that doesn't work, evacuate the system and then see where the blockage is.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
My insights A/C compressor isn't engaging and when i checked the low pressure service port into see if it needed more refrigerant, it was extremely high pressure. I've already replaced the fuse and both relays and it didn't change anything. Does anyone have suggestions on what could be wrong or how to fix it?

OK, I am 99% sure of this but you will have to check further.

When the A/C is off, the pressures stabilize on both the low and high side. OR the low side will equal the temperature/pressure relationship.

This means that the low side will rise to 100 or above depending on temperature.

This is quite normal, and if the A/C compressor isn't engaging you will have very high pressure on the low side like this. You can look this up, it is called the "static pressure"

Here is a website that explains it: DIY Auto Service: AC System Diagnosis by Symptom.

Here is a r134a temperature pressure chart.
So at 90F you should have a pressure of 104PSI on the low side. I'm not sure what you should even have on the high side. You have to be careful when checking this because you really need to let the car sit in the shade. If the car was run or baking in the sun then you will have higher pressures as the temp may be over 100F at the coolant.

You really need to get the clutch running, I believe there is a high pressure cut-off and that is over 300 PSI, so if you have pressure and its not over 300PSI the clutch should engage. Then check the pressures with the clutch engaged as that will give you much lower pressures on the low side. There may be a low pressure cut-off but that may be around 5PSI and not your issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did you inspect the physical wires down low near the compressor, pack rats get into the belly pan and chew up the power cables where they enter the compressor, has happened to me 3 times in last ten years. Pack rats love the Insights belly pans and the compressor wires are the closest ones for them to chew on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts