Honda Insight Forum banner

AC Compressor Replacement - thoughts?

13K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  tjsean0308 
#1 ·
Greetings fellow Insighters,

I need to replace my AC compressor and am curious as to what other folks' experiences have been. I'm looking to spend as little as possible, but living in AZ, having functional cold AC is a must. I've already had the system evac'd and will likely be doing all the work, excepting the recharge, myself.

So my questions are:

- Does anyone have experience with the Four Seasons brand replacement on Rock Auto? My local AC shop didn't have great things to say about the brand, but they are also very inexpensive for a new (not reman) one. ($180) They are also the only aftermarket option i've seen.

- Does anyone have good experience with a used compressor? If so, does anyone have a known good one that that they would like to sell? :D

- Should i replace receiver/dryer and condenser as well and if so, any thoughts on aftermarket brands? Local shop said that if the oil looks good with no sign of metal shavings to just replace compressor. If it looks like there was any metal in the system...evidenced by gray looking oil...to replace condenser, receiver/dryer, and expansion valve as well)

- Any other thoughts on this job before i take it on?

Prior to visiting the shop, i was thinking about replacing all the parts above with Rock Auto parts, because they are all very cheap, but now i'm wondering if that's really needed. Perhaps if i can find a good, used compressor, that's my best bet?

I welcome your feedback. This forum and the people i've met through it have been a huge help and invaluable source of information on this car!

See less See more
#3 ·
Has anyone come across a simple 12VDC or low amp 120VAC and us an inverter; for a car. Should only need to be 500btu or so. I looked at RV air but they are too big. Or I didnt look hard enough.
You would think there would be a simple generic one that will help people that don't want to spend $650-$1,000 having a shop do it.
There is a HUGE market out there for one.

#7 · (Edited)
the clutch and bearing are probably ok but i would bypass the reman unit for a good used compressor. most of the aftermarket rebuilders have almost no quality control.

there is no such thing as a 12v car plug-in electrical air conditioner. you either fix the one on the engine or live without.

i mean i guess you could put a generator in the back and mount a window unit in the passenger window.... sorry, that was a joke, please don't try it.

#5 ·
I have no experience with either of the new brands. I do however have a good used compressor and I have sent you a PM musmanjam.

#15 ·
Hello , I am an insight owner as well. And in need of several parts. However I do not know much about these forums or what a PM is. But I do have Zelle. Can u send me a price on each of these parts please? #1. AC compressor , #2. Evap canister. #3 passenger motor mount and a passenger door upper pillar trim.

#6 ·
Reviving for more info

Has anyone since had any experience with these four seasons rock auto compressors? I am bypassing mine tonight due to a severely worn clutch, and was going to just do the clutch and bearing. The $180 price tag though makes it not worth just replacing the whole thing.

Any feedback would be awesome!

#8 ·
the clutch and bearing are probably ok but i would bypass the reman unit for a good used compressor. most of the aftermarket rebuilders have almost no quality control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secaturbo View Post
Has anyone come across a simple 12VDC or low amp 120VAC and us an inverter; for a car. Should only need to be 500btu or so. I looked at RV air but they are too big. Or I didnt look hard enough.
You would think there would be a simple generic one that will help people that don't want to spend $650-$1,000 having a shop do it.
There is a HUGE market out there for one.

there is no such thing as a 12v car plug-in electrical air conditioner. you either fix the one on the engine or live without.

i mean i guess you could put a generator in the back and mount a window unit in the passenger window.... sorry, that was a joke, please don't try it.

Thanks Lyger! The more I read the more nervous it made me. For the time being I am going to leave it bypassed with a shorter belt, and try to locate a new clutch and bearing assembly. Right now it makes scrapping noises as it spins and the clutch wobbles back and forth. I thought for sure it was about to throw a rod.

#12 ·
I don't know about the Insight compressor, but I was surprised to find my HCH compressor had worn the shaft that the bearing rode on. Basically the end of the compressor. It is aluminum and the stiff bearing spun on it. I drove it quite some time with working, but noisy AC. Unfortunately I did not realize why I couldn't get the clutch off, used a puller and broke off the end of the compressor because i was pulling against a ridge created by the spinning bearing.

Wobbly clutch you described makes me wonder if it is the same as mine. The bearing might only be part of the problem.

#9 ·
FWIW...i ended up installing a GPD compressor from Rock Auto. Local AC shop said they use them and the quality control is better than Four Seasons. i bought the kit with receiver/drier and expansion valve, which was good because the expansion valve ended up needing to be replaced as well.

So far so good. Hasn't made it through a full summer here in AZ yet, but has been quiet and worked well through the fall 90-100 temps.

#13 ·
Possibly a K24 Compressor

I read in the thread "Attempting to build the Ultimate Insight......Lets see what happens ", "For the A/C I used the K24 compressor and all the stock Insight components. the ports on the A/C compressors are the same size so that is helpful. I rotated the fittings on the end of the aluminum lines to get them to line up to the new compressor."

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...ltimate-insight-lets-see-what-happens-12.html #117

#16 ·
Please include your Location in your Profile. Thank You.
A PM is a "Conversation".

#19 ·
Has anyone else done a recent AC compressor replacement on their Insight?

I have a 2011 Insight. It blows warm and cool air intermittently. Mostly warm. Both and independent and Honda mechanic says that the compressor needs to be replaced. Honda wants more than $2000.

Autozone has the Four Seasons reman AC compressor for $260 with a one year warranty. I'm just wondering if anyone had positive experience with this one or has suggestions on another one.

Thanks.

#20 ·
Has anyone else done a recent AC compressor replacement on their Insight?

I have a 2011 Insight. It blows warm and cool air intermittently. Mostly warm. Both and independent and Honda mechanic says that the compressor needs to be replaced. Honda wants more than $2000.

Autozone has the Four Seasons reman AC compressor for $260 with a one year warranty. I'm just wondering if anyone had positive experience with this one or has suggestions on another one.

Thanks.

This is the Gen1 forum for cars built before 2006. Your 2011 is a Gen2 I'd check over there to get any info on your model car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.