Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I've seen this topic covered before but I'll bring it up anyway. Do you guys/gals notice any hesitation in accelaration as you reapply the gas after coasting in gear? Its not really a hesitation but rather a feeling like the fuel isn't coming out smoothly, maybe I'm getting too much gas out when I reaccelerate. The result is a little learch in action and a tendency to push down too much on the gas to compensate. I may be delusional but I seem to be able to affect this phenomena by the angle of my foot on the gas pedal. I was thinking that maybe it has to do with the air fuel ratio sensor problem that I had (check engine light came on for a couple hundred miles, garage said the computer listed the air fuel ratio sensor as culprit). Any thoughts?

Also is there is place on this site to list the age of parts that we have had to replace from normal wear (i.e. brakes, tires, battery etc.)? It would be helpful to develop such a list if it doesn't exist as it would help not only anticipate replacements, but also to identfy any issue that would accelerate wear on such parts.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Likely the hesitation that you are experiencing comes as the system shifts from generating electric power while the engine is turned off as you coast down hill or decellerate to starting the engine and providing power for accelleration. Likely, when you are focussing on the angle of your foot on your accellerator pedal, you are unconsciously applying pressure on the pedal more slowly, giving the engine time to start and accellerate normally.

Just guessing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I'm coasting in gear the engine doesn't shut off. So why would the fact that it stops charging effect the acceleration? i would think that with the lack of resistance from the charging mechanism, there would be a qucker acceleration.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
lethostigma said:
When I'm coasting in gear the engine doesn't shut off.
Actually, it does. When you coast in gear, the engine goes into something called "fuel-cut mode" where no gasoline is delivered and the spark plugs do not fire. In the Civic Hybrid it even closes the valves on 3/4 of the cylinders so that you are mainly doing recoverable (adiabatic) work in compressing/decompressing the air in the cylinders.

So when you reengage the engine you might feel a bit of a bump or jerk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tim thanks for the clarification. I hope that is the lurch that I'm feeling. With the complexity of the technology, I'm sure glad that it is a Honda product and not lets say a Ford. No wonder my dealer mechanic seems so clueless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts