Honda Insight Forum banner

Accessing the back of the IMA

Tags
gen 1 ima
1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Gadget01 
#1 ·
While installing a grid charger over the weekend, I found that some of the aluminum paneling around the back of the IMA (drivers side) was bent out of shape, thus preventing me from putting the cover back on properly. As of now the bolt holes aren’t lining up because of this bent aluminum getting in the way. This was my first time removing the IMA cover since purchasing the car and it looks like these issues occurred when the previous owner took the car to the dealership for service. After removing the seats, how do I go about accessing the back of the IMA and try to unwarp some of the aluminum back there so I can put the cover on properly? Or is there something else I should try first?

#2 ·
When you say "the back of the IMA," I'm guessing you mean towards the front of the car. In that case, after removing the seats, remove the carpet and wall panel, then the cross beam. This should give you unrestricted access to the IPU enclosure.

The aluminum walls are pretty thin gauge, and when they bend, they stay that way. They will bend back with a bit of pressure.

With so many bolt holes, the technique I always used when replacing the top cover of the IPU enclosure was to thread in one fastener just a little ways in until they are all started. That way when you get to one that's not aligned, the panel is still loose and can be shifted around. Only after every fastener is started do I tighten them.

Pictures would help us assist you better.

Reactions: jime
#4 ·
When you say "the back of the IMA," I'm guessing you mean towards the front of the car. In that case, after removing the seats, remove the carpet and wall panel, then the cross beam. This should give you unrestricted access to the IPU enclosure.

The aluminum walls are pretty thin gauge, and when they bend, they stay that way. They will bend back with a bit of pressure.

With so many bolt holes, the technique I always used when replacing the top cover of the IPU enclosure was to thread in one fastener just a little ways in until they are all started. That way when you get to one that's not aligned, the panel is still loose and can be shifted around. Only after every fastener is started do I tighten them.

Pictures would help us assist you better.

This is the area in question. Do you have a rough estimate of how long such a disassembly should take?

Attachments

#3 ·
In addition to above, note that the eight bolts which fit through the thin support frame over the BCM & MCM modules can also get bent easily, and allow misalignment of cover bolts. Gadget01 advice about making sure ALL bolts are started before any are tighten is real good guidance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.