Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an accident about a month ago that has seriously reduced my mpg. The car hit a curb at roughly a 45 degree angle while moving about 25 mph. (Had to avoid a drunk driver) The right front wheel was pushed back against the fender well. The wheel was severely damaged and was replaced. The control arm and a wheel bearing had to be replaced also. Had 4 new Potenza RE92 (OEM) tires installed and front wheel alignment done. Put 50 lbs front, 47 rear in tires. I was averaging 81 mpg consistently before the accident but only 68 now. My mechanic went over the car and found the right front brake was dragging so he fixed that. The car's rolling resistance seems to be slightly higher but it feels like I'm driving in a headwind all the time. I have to use more rpm or assist to accelerate at the same rate than before. Just wondering what could reduce my mpg so significantly?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
A front wheel alignment is not adequate, always get a 4 wheel alignment. Ask for printouts to see what the alignment was before and after it's done.
The car should have zero toe front and rear. After driving on the highway for a while and not using the brakes much check the temperature of the rim by touching near the lug nuts and compare each rim on the car. If one side is hotter then the other the brakes may be rubbing causing a difference in temperature. Those are some of the things I would check.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts