Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___Relatively new Insighter here … Actually a newbie in reality.

___I just wanted to know what kind of mileage everyone has been receiving/have received in the deep freeze of winter? In the Chicagoland area, I have been traveling my 185 mile 2-way commutes in light Interstate traffic in temps between 5 and 20 degrees F. I have the Radiator 100% blocked, the warm air intake mod pre-heater hose’s inlet actually touching the catalytic converters heat shield, 0W-20 Mobil1 Synthetic between the dots, and my brand new Bridgestone RE92’s (1,900 miles on them now) at 51 #’s all around. The best I can do is ~ 76 tmpg with 71 - 75 tmpg’s being the norm. I had a low 61 tmpg but that was with 4 to 7” of snow falling and I was actually traveling in slush and snow for most of that particular commute. I have been traveling at speeds as low as 48 mph actual (50 via the digital speedometer) as I crest the less then 50 ft. rise type hills (overpasses) and no more then 55 to 59 mph on the digital (53 - 57 mph actual) at the troughs and steady state. I just can’t seem to get anymore out of my little red beauty :( In lean burn, I do see 85 – 90 + mpg on the instantaneous for very brief periods in these temps but it is usually sitting right on the 75 mpg mark for most of the trip while in lean burn …

___I know I should be happy with beating EPA estimates in temperatures as cold as they are but I am having doubts about my driving style and or vehicle with Rick receiving a 106 mpg over a 400 mile trip in 60 + degree temps near Washington DC. and Chisight (lives within 3 towns) with a 77 lmpg and a few 100 + tmpg runs himself? The best I have actually seen was a few 85 tmpg’s over that same commute using the same style in 40 to 60 degree F temps. Is 100 + tmpg possible when it finally gets warm in my Insight or is it an impossibility and I am just dreaming given my currently lowly tmpg’s as of the last 2 to 3 weeks?

___Thanks in advance.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:26kcfrup][email protected][/email:26kcfrup]

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Cold temperatures have a very heavy impact on mileage, especially in stop-and-go or city driving, where you will lose auto-stop functionality. You didn't say whether or not you were running the defroster, but that coupled with A/C will keep you out of lean burn. Not to mention the drag of snow, slush, or rain. Finally there is your own learning curve in getting high MPGs.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Personally I think you are doing very well. John 1701 averaged 46.5 for Dec. in his 2004 Prius, and he has been practicing for years. I'm expecting to hear some outrageous mileages from you this summer.

Kip

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
xcel said:
The best I can do is ~ 76 tmpg with 71 - 75 tmpg’s being the norm.
Hi Wayne,

my car has about the same winterization status (except for the Nokian Hakka 2 tires 145/80R13). I get lower mileage on my 35 mile one-way commute: about 65mpg in -10 C weather. My electric engineblock pre-heater helps keeping the warmup time down and the mpg for the first few miles from desastrous levels. If I look at only the 30 mile highway portion of the trip, I can still get 75mpg in these conditions.

The same commute peaked at 85mpg last summer. 95 for the highway portion. I never touched 100 for any meaningful distance.

Worst was yesterday: -20 C in the morning, and lots of stops in a shopping trip with the girlfriend. 40 miles at 45mpg! I think there were only a few minutes where the temperature gauge hit 6 bars. (She doesn't believe in the dress warm - get high mileage philosophy.)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wayne,
Its hard to compare car mpg values unless they are collected at the same time. My advice is to arrange to do a joint run somewhere with Chisight. Once you meet you can both restart the segment trip meter. For the first half of the trip follw Chisight (recommend a trip of 30 miles or so to get a realistic average). At the end of the 30 miles compare notes and then let Chisight follow you for the return. At the end compare both halfs as well as the overall results. Mark and I did this with the one exception that we also switched drivers at the half-way point. In our case you could see the difference in mpg was influenced by the weight of the driver and gear but we both achieved over 100 mpg for the 60 mile trip. As I recall we had a 2 mpg difference over the 60 mile total. This tells me both cars are capable of performing to a similar level. This last spring we had five insights gather but we didn't do any road tests. Hopefully this spring we will do a autocross along a senic route. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Friday morning it was 12 below drove 150 mile round trip and it was 6 when i got back. Mostly highway 60-65 mph. I had an average of 54.6 with a five speed. That night I did the cold weather mods metioned here.
Yesterday I left for my usual 500 mile trip the temp was 16 below zero and nine hours later it was 10 above. My mpg was over 65 for the first half then when I got to WV speed limits (I drove 70-80 mph) and mountains it dropped to 62.
I'll let you know how it does on the way back (downhill and warmer).
Rick

I left this morning and it was a balmy 21 in the mountains of WV. I was on mostly highway at speeds of 65-75 and hit a powerful headwind in MD. When I got back to NY (501 miles) mpg was 64.8.
I think the mods helped and I want to thank you guys for the instruction and support on this site.
Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts