Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many posts about the milage people are getting. Are you that post these using the displays, ie the bar graph mpg, the A and B mpg?? I find they indicate better mpg for each trip or the miles driven on A or B, then the actual mpg determined by the actual odometer miles since the last fill-up divided by the gallons used to fill the tank. What are some of you getting by the tank full with the actual math calcs?? I am getting about 43 mph for mostly shorter, under 10 miles , small town driving.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have also noticed that the A & B indicate higher than actual miliage.
I use your method of dividing "miles driven over entire tank"/"amount of fuel to fill back up"
I am averaging about 400 miles on a tank, and consistently getting 44-45 mpg this spring.
When I first took delivery of the car and it was colder out (NewEngland) I was able to maintain 40-43 mpg.
Tim

·
Registered
382 Posts
I always calculate the real mpg when I refuel, so the total miles I did divided by the fuel I put. That's the number I input in fuelly.com.

But I also keep a log of what the MID gives me each tanks. The optimistic mpgs keep increasing over the miles. I wish Honda would provide an update on the calculation software. I'm at 39K miles and the MID has now an average of 3.3 miles optimistic on average. (will show 53.3mpg when it's 50mpg in real calculation). At 10K miles, I had an average of 2.5mpg optimistic, at 20K miles 3mpg... so it seems it keeps increasing. Will see when I get to 50K miles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I always fill my tank, then divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons used. Since I punch my gas purchases into Gas Buddy and Fuelly they keep a running calculation for each of my vehicles.

I've found that usually my actual mpg is very close to what is shown on the Trip A which I also reset each trip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also use actual mpg (and try to use the same station and same pump, in case that matters, as many on this forum appear to do). Like the OP, I also find that the mpg on the MID is "optimistic". I also find that the estimated miles remaining is optimistic too. For example, I'm a little over half a tank right now, and have driven 220 miles. At best, it looks like I'll get maybe 250-300 miles out of the remainder of this tank, but the MID says I have 374 left to go. I doubt I'll get that far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
actual

I find the MID overestimates my mileage each tank by about 3%.

But my MID Range underestimates. I've driven it a couple times with 0 miles left, and it didn't take 10 gallons to fill it. By the way, I don't recommend running it that low. One time was due to a slight miscalculation on the PA Tpk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find the MID overestimates my mileage each tank by about 3%.

But my MID Range underestimates. I've driven it a couple times with 0 miles left, and it didn't take 10 gallons to fill it. By the way, I don't recommend running it that low. One time was due to a slight miscalculation on the PA Tpk.
Yeah, I've driven it with 0 miles left too - I go more by the fuel light (which allegedly means I have 1.8 gallons left) than the MID. When the light goes on, I should have at least 75 miles to go, but the MID usually says less than 50.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actual MPG

I have about 8000 miles on 2011 EX. Thus far the meter shows an average of 47-48 mpg, 20% city 80% suburban/highway driving. According to my calculations the meter is about 1.8 mpg "optimistic", so the actual mileage is about 46 mpg thus far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I commute 20 miles each way, using the air conditioner on the way home in Eco mode (it's damn hot here in Texas). Commute is relatively flat, but with quite a few traffic lights. When I've traveled around 450 miles on a tank of gas, the MID tells me I'm getting in excess of 54 MPG. Actual calculated mileage is consistently 51 MPG or better. I'm not hypermiling, but I drive conservatively and pay attention to what the computer is telling me. I'm happier than a gopher in soft dirt!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The computer seems to add about 2 mpg

I have a consistent commute of about 40 miles dally. I too always figure the mpg with each fill up. This spring I have been showing 49 to 50 mpg on the display, but getting 46 - 48 real mpg. I'm at 14,000 miles on my 2010.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you ever start wondering whether you made a mistake buying a hybrid, consider that most magazine tests of compact economy cars net around 25-27 mpg in mixed driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I alway find it interesting that magazine fuel economy tests of vehicles are way less than I get on those vehicles. They must really beat the crap out of those cars. The EPA numbers are just the opposite. Honda sure didn't play to the EPA tests like some manufacturers seem to do. Not many of the cars I've owned would consistently get up to the EPA numbers, but my Insight 2 beats those numbers every time. The 07 Grand Caravan I traded had an EPA highway rating of 25. The best I ever did with it was 24, and most of the time it was around 22 highway and it was averaging 19. My 02 Civic EX coupe would get it's 37 highway rating until I wore out the original RE92's and replaced them with Goodrich Traction TA's. I had better grip in the rain but lost 2 mpg in the deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No regret here

I actually bought the Insight because I think it looks cool and is fun to drive. Gas Mileage is a big bonus. I actually liek the look of the original Insights better, but I needed the back seats for the kids. I've received dozens of complements on the car as well. For me there I didn't sacrafice anything to buy it so no regret :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I actually bought the Insight because I think it looks cool and ...
One of the largest selling points for me too. I really dig the look of the Insight.

The black ones with the blue chrome around the projectors make it look astonishing, IMO. Couldn't sell the wife on the black, though, got my second favorite color however. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have 84,000 miles on my 2010 Insight. I find the MID overstates the mpg by about 2mpg. I usually get 450-475 miles from a tank before filling up and the display usually says between 50 and 54. However when I do the math its from 48-52. If its mostly highway, I get around 48. If its more backroads (55mph speed limits) I will get 50+ very easily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What are some of you getting by the tank full with the actual math calcs??
Like you the MID seems to slightly over estimate the actual MPG achieved. Based on the trip meter mileage divided by gas pump fuel dispensed, my actual fuel economy has been between 47 to 50 mpg :) on my last 3 fill-ups. This was pretty much all CITY driving (no Highway) with over 400 miles each stint and all fill-ups were between 8 to 9.5 gallons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts