Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I add A/C, i.e. retrofit to a 2001 w/ 5-speed?
If so at what cost
- my labor?
- hire a shop?
- dealer does it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - $936 plus shipping at H & A.

Hmmm ...
selling mine, buying another incurs costs like sales tax & time & effort.
and the AC kit would be new

I wonder, how much work is involved in the install?
a weekend? 2?
special tools?

·
Registered
58 Posts
AC Kit

$900.00 for kit from Majestic Honda in RI. Where are you located.After you install kit you need to pull a vacume overnight on system to remove air in system,and check for leaks.Install directions are online.A goodset on handtools for the install,then you could take it to a AC shop for the R134a install. It can be done in a weekend.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RI ? I used to commute there every day .. now it's up 128.

So when you say "can be done" in a weekend ..
sounds like maybe a 3-day weekend.

·
Registered
58 Posts
AC Kit Instal

No a 2day weekend should get it done. I could help,have vacume pump and guages.I have a 2000 also,but have not installed the AC because without it i can change my oil and filter with car on the ground-not even on a set of ramps.With AC system in place you have do a oil change from under the car,and then deal with the underpanels removal,besides the hit to fuel milage that occurs. Do you really need the AC on the few days here in the NE that it would be required. I live in central Mass.,Worcester.

·
Registered
364 Posts
AC Upgrade

Hi Masscommuter,
Infidel has a real interesting solution under "mpg issues" in this forum, something I was looking for a long time ago. AC that operates independantly, may be a real good idea. Looked up installing factory AC for someone else, very time consuming, allot of opportunities to really mess up your Insight. They just about have to gut the car, to put it in. I would definately consider Infidel's possible solution. When I bought my '05 the dealer said "we have an '05 we can install the AC into". I went home and checked the service manual, "not a chance", was my response. Hope this helps, Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts