Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I add a headphone jack to the radio?
Speakers are unmodified.

I'd like to wear earbuds - the "isolating" kind (Etymotic ?) which aren't "noise-cancelling" but form a tight seal & lower external noise by 15-20 db.

·
Registered
466 Posts
unless you plan on letting someone else drive, thats illegal and very dangerous.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the interior noise level is at 85 db
(Honda's claim at one point, which matches the widely reported "noisy"),
a 17 - 23% drop ( 15 -20 db ) due to isolating earbuds
will not eliminate driving-related hearing.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
masscommuter said:
How do I cut down noise at highway speed?
Home quality undercarpet padding will help. It can be a DIY project but you'll have to remove most of the interior trim (dash stays). I did my Insight with a noticable noise reduction, sorry didn't measure the dba.

If you don't mind sacrficing 12% of the maximum MPG potential, non OEM tires are quieter and smoother.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 38&start=0

But if your _really_ serious, Dynamat or equivalent noise insulation will make the biggest difference.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dy ... gle+Search

HTH! :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - Dynamat looks serious and if it's too much for me to wrestle with body trim, I know a shop which would do it. I'm reluctant to compromise MPG.

Unfortunately, I also rely on listening to the radio & . . .
I've wanted earbuds for quite a while.
I just wonder how these could be wired in to the radio.

Thanks, again, for replies.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Electrically it would be pretty straightforward. Legally you can't get there from here. ;)

Nor would you want the liability should you be involved in a serious accident. There will be investigators looking at your car and the earbuds and jack will be apparent. It won't matter up-front that their "only" 20 dba noise canceling. You'll have to defend a position that they did not contribute to the accident.

Go for the Dynamat. And while your in there add the foam padding too. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
masscommuter said:
I've wanted earbuds for quite a while.
I just wonder how these could be wired in to the radio.
Again it is illegal to wear headphones or earbuds while driving a vehicle! It is also illegal to have a stereo up so load as not to be able to hear other vehicles or distract the drivers attention from the road.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Notwithstanding the fact that it is illegal, you would need to use a couple of resistors in series speaker outputs, about 2Kohms, otherwise you risk setting fire to your ear drums! It is unlikely that you will find sufficient space inside the reciever to mount a standard headphone jack although a mini plug might fit. Getting the radio out is about as easy as pulling up all the carpets, so I would opt for the sound padding any day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts