Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a guessing game who has location set up and who does not.

Could we please add location in text below our avatar or post count on the left? Just drop it so right away we know where folks are generally from.

·
Administrator
testing topical info
681 Posts
Hello,

As you know we can not force any member to give up information they do not willingly want to pass along. Would it be better to develop an indicator if they have a linked location, or would you rather see more words in that area?

This may not be highest on our developers priorities, but it can be something looked into.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not concerned with whether someone has a location entered or forcing them to enter it correctly. That's as you said up to each person.

This request is to add location text below the avatar somewhere, only if they have it filled out.

if (!empty($location))
{
echo $location
} else {
// do nothing
}

·
Premium Member
Southern California
787 Posts
I'd also like to put in a request to have a user's location shown all the time under their username. It's much easier to keep track of where everybody is located when I can just glance over and see, rather than having to actively mouse over every user every time.

I try to keep a mental model of approximately where members are located, and not being able to see locations all the time makes that much more difficult.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
PLEASE relocate the "Jump to Latest" button.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PLEASE relocate the "Jump to Latest" button.
Please open a separate thread for that and be sure to include more information in your new thread.

This request is for adding user's location below their avatar, so we no longer need to mouse over to see it.

·
Administrator
testing topical info
681 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks for fleshing out the information further for me. I am looking into the availability of including Topical Information under your avatars. This would allow you to input your vehicle, make, model, location, or any other information you deem topical to display with your profile. And could be filled out with as much of that as you so choose.

Does that cover the desire accurately?

-Gerrit

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, that would do it. However, I would make those fields display only when the user populated them, to avoid adding necessary clutter.

·
Premium Member
Southern California
787 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks for fleshing out the information further for me. I am looking into the availability of including Topical Information under your avatars. This would allow you to input your vehicle, make, model, location, or any other information you deem topical to display with your profile. And could be filled out with as much of that as you so choose.

Does that cover the desire accurately?

-Gerrit
Yes, that would be great!

·
Administrator
testing topical info
681 Posts
Hey there!

this might be a bit late but we managed to tweak the topical information field in user settings (for all our communities).
Now you can go to account settings: Honda Insight Forum
and then scroll down to Vehicle Details and add your vehicle information here. Once it's added, you will see it on your profile field in every post under your avatar!

Cheers!!

Lee

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi but isn't this request for adding a user's location so we don't need to hover over everyone's icon to know their (optionally supplied) location?

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
832 Posts
please explain to the community what you just said about adding ones car information versus what this whole thread is about, a person's location under the Avatar totally visible, is related. This topic was brought up, on this thread, two months ago

·
Premium Member
Southern California
787 Posts
No need to be rude about it. Why not ask politely?
You can put anything you want in that field, I'll be putting my location. Thank you for adding this! Hopefully we can get location info on its own line as well.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
832 Posts
I apologize to Administration as I did not fully understand, nor completely read, the explanation in post #12 above for the method one can add their own location. I was frustrated after these months and Andria's post triggered me.
I'm not a programmer, obviously, but I don't understand what prevents admin from using / filling / directing one's location to: Type Account. IMHO no one cares what kind of account a person has.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The solution isn't really addressing the request. Everyone already has location set up. Adding that to a visible field below our avatar reduces the likelihood that only a small percentage of users will bother copy pasting redundant profile information into a new field (that again most users won't know or why or how to use).

·
Administrator
testing topical info
681 Posts
The solution isn't really addressing the request. Everyone already has location set up. Adding that to a visible field below our avatar reduces the likelihood that only a small percentage of users will bother copy pasting redundant profile information into a new field (that again most users won't know or why or how to use).
Sorry for the delayed response.

You can see the location info after hovering over the user's profile. We do not have plans to add additional location information at this time.

You can update this info here and choose to share it under privacy settings.

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 9.48.31 AM.png

Jeff M

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nobody is asking to create and add a second location field.

We're wanting the existing location field (which again is available but just a hassle to get to) to be displayed without needing to mouse over.

This is information that is already publicly available.

·
Premium Member
Southern California
787 Posts
I've made a Tampermonkey script that replaces a user's title with their location.

How to use it:
1. Install the Tampermonkey browser extension (tampermonkey.net, supports all major browsers)
2. Click the Tampermonkey icon and click "Create a new script"
3. Delete what's there and paste the script below.
4. Save the script. It should automatically enable it, and if you refresh an Insightcentral forum page you should see the script take effect.

JavaScript:
// ==UserScript==
// @name         IC Show Locations
// @namespace    insightcentral
// @version      1.0
// @description  Replaces user titles with their location
// @author       Mario
// @match        https://www.insightcentral.net/*
// @run-at       document-idle
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    // Get each userbit-info class (contains the location flag and user title)
    var userInfos = document.querySelectorAll('[class=userbit-info]');

// Loop through each one and modify it if necessary
    for (var i = 0, len = userInfos.length|0; i < len; i = i + 1|0) {
        // Make sure there's a location flag (users with no flag only have 3 child nodes)
        if(userInfos[i].childNodes[5].childNodes.length == 5) {
            // Get the location string from the flag info
            var locString = userInfos[i].childNodes[5].childNodes[3].title;
            // Replace the user title with the location string
            userInfos[i].childNodes[5].childNodes[1].textContent = locString;
        }
    }
})();

There is one limitation, that this script only works if the user has a country flag set up and visible under their username. The mouseover text of that image contains the location, which is where I get that info. The location you see when you hover over somebody's avatar and it brings up their user info is dynamically requested from the Insightcentral servers and I don't know how to query that. I'm not a javascript wizard unfortunately, took me a couple hours just to get this much working properly!

Send me a message if you need help using/installing this or if you find any issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts