Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've found it necessary to add an extra horn to our 2002 Insight due to the size differential (and lack of hearing) between Insights and SUV's, which seem to lumber along here in Michigan in massive quantities with their sound systems set to 120dB+ SPL.
So, some research time was spent figuring out the best way, mechancially for mounting and electrically for safety, to do the job.

This is what was found:

1. For mounting, the aluminum strengthening bar that runs parallel to the hood near the firewall has some extra holes already drilled in it so a Threadsert was installed in it to provide a strong method of mounting without compromising the integrity of the member.
2. A cadmium plated bolt and washers was used to install the horn as this type of plating is fairly corrosion resistant, although stainless could also be easily used used. Be sure to use an internal/external tooth grounding washer for the horn to ground to.
3. The horn used was a single 118dB unit purchased at Murrays for approx. $10 and in conjunction with the stock horn, the volume is quite alarming although a set of small air horns could have been used but on second consideration was decided against due to the time lag for the pump to build up pressure, as well as introducing another moving part into the maintainence picture.
4. Anytime a new electrical "add-on" is introduced into a vehicle, two words to live by are: "Relay and Fuse".
5. On the drivers side under the hood near the front of the vehicle is a small fuse box that houses the horn relay and fuse. Now the reason that is mentioned is only to note you'll find the relay trigger wire contained there-in. One must lift out the radiator overflow tank (it pulls straight up), and carefully remove the 2-10mm bolts that hold the large fuse box in place. Be careful not to drop those bolts, they're a bugger to fish out.
6. Then flip over the fuse box and look for a single orange (with no tracer color wire, approx 20 guage). This is the switched ground from the steering wheel that activates the horn relay. Use this for the switched negative on the relay you're putting in.
7. Ensure that the +12V supply for the relay comes from the battery and is FUSED with at least a 20A fuse. If possible, try to use one of the newer plastic blade style of fuses and holders.
8. Be sure to securely seal the connections on the relay with electrical tape or some other electrical sealer to avoid water intrusion and corrosion.
9. Neatly tie-wrap the wiring in place along the back harness near the aluminum strengthening bar.

10. TOOT-TOOT, BEEP-BEEP

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Many thanks for the detailed advice. Less expensive than a CO2 laser cannon and safer than a flamethrower too. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is there an easier way to replace the horn ?

I admire your technical expertise, Plain&Peanut, but I'm wondering if you or anyone else can suggest a simple replacement for the original horn. Can't I just buy a slightly louder horn, with a different tone perhaps, and install it where the old horn used to be ?

Please excuse my lack of electical engineering knowledge, but is this even possible ? I'm afraid if I attempted all that wiring I'd blow the whole car up !
:roll:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Just a little note I might add. In the service manual it shows removing the bumper to gain access to the horn.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow! That sounds really complex. I just took my bumper off, ripped the resonator out of the fender and drilled out some holes to screw in some air horns and a compressor. Then I cut the wires to the stock horn and used Autozone crimp connectors to crimp the wires to the compressor. Then I zip tied the wires together and routed them through a path that should keep them up above the bumper once it was reinstalled for minimum mess. Seems to have worked fine for me and it's way louder than the girly stock horn.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi,

I will consider such an upgrade. You wrote "just took my bumper off". What is in stake here, a few bolts to the bumper or is there more. Like what happens to the air dams (I see they are not there on your picture)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,877 Posts
No air damn? Thats probably because it is a civic and not an Insight. :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah it's easy with the Civic, there's just like a dozen or so screws holding the bumper cap on and that's it. I can't imagine the Insight is radically more complex, it probably just takes a little longer. I guess I honestly don't know how much more you will have to do on the Insight, but Honda usually tries to keep things simple and serviceable.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi Plain&Peanut,

Can you explain what is needed to remove the bumper. Are the wheel wellls need to be removed also. What needs to be unbolted.

Tahnks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3/22/04
Greetings to all who read my post, I'm quite surprised how many people want to learn how to make more noise!
Anyway, I didn't remove any part of the bumper or any other piece of the vehicles body to add the extra horn. I applaud those enterprising folks who "went the extra mile", so to speak, to do that because it is sort of an interesting project but we still have warranty coverage and don't want to sacrifice any chance of losing that just to hide a horn that will mount nicely as I've mentioned in my previous post.
I've placed a new post concerning the new CVT transmission replacement you may want to read.

Be well and safe,
Plain&Peanut

·
Registered
60 Posts
I tried to add new horns.

It all began when an F-150 backed into Pod Car and did major damage to the front end. Then he tried to run, but Pod Car showed him a few tricks (getting back on his tail in about six seconds) and he relented. Gotta love that low end torque.

Anyway, last week the car was in the body shop, and I took by some FIAMM snail shell horns from the local NAPA auto parts store. I asked them to install them since the bumper was already off.

Got a call from the body shop the next day, saying that the horns didn't fit. My only thought is that the snail shell horns are thicker than the normal buzzer style horn that most cars use. This may have caused trouble once they put the bumper back on.

I don't know exactly why the horns did not fit, but I am going to investigate once I get Pod Car back.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi,

Yes please post your result. I will check what can be done about adding something elsewhere. I wisshed for the original place so it will not be seen but the important thing is the result.

For me, I had a few non accident (people changing lanes while not checking for cars on their sides) that would have been less dramatic if the other drivers would have herd my horn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts