Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small leak which I may not be able to repair until I go south or spring. Is it best to add coolant at night in the overflow tank at night and not start the car until morning? I do not want to get air in the system and have to purge. it is a small leak and the car is not overheating. Also the heater works much better when I drive the car, then drops when I am parked at idle. is this normal? thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,598 Posts
If the expansion tank has been empty, you may already have air in the system. It wouldn't hurt to give it a quick purge before your trip. On the expansion tank, fill it nice and full right after the engine is shut down. It will draw coolant in as it cools. Make sure it is changing level as Sean found a pickup tube with an air leak.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i added about 10 oz of of prestone 50/50 and it brought over max in the expansion bottle. gotta locate where it is gong. it is mild up here but nowhere for me to spend hours locating the leak. honda is not open on sarurday, and i did not want to wait until monday..i won't travel south to work on it until i find the leak. the heat does drop down at idle. going down the road the car trows good heat. i am concerned about the ticking on the top end, but it has good power and i am trying to squeeze out the mpg by shifting with the arrow indicator. i think the car will outlast me!

·
Super Moderator
7,598 Posts
All the valves tick some as the car gets older. I just adjusted one and it still ticks. My low mileage cars don't tick noticeably. I think you are wise to find the leak before your leave. It could get a lot worse.

I would at least do the fill and purge procedure after you find the leak. You could have bubbles in the system.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks i will take it back to where they said they got it right and have them watch the how to by willie. its a kansas car. just can't take the cold working outside anymore. nakona1

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get somebody to pressurize your cooling system. You can do it using a coolant reservoir cap drilled and fitted with a schraider fitting, bicycle tire pump or other low pressure source of air. Don't go over 20psi. Oh, you do need a guage in series. Easier to get the set in auto parts store or harbor fright.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts