Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been wanting to add map lights to my 2014 Honda Insight which is a base model. After doing research online I found some threads that helped me jump in and do it. I purchased the parts from my local Honda, obviously for the next model up, everything cost me about $65 and it came out awesome.

This is my first cut and point of no return. I was trying to see if the holes for the screws were there and to my advantage the holes for the map light bolts were there.
initial cut.jpg

once i found the bolt holes on the roof, I went to the hardware store and purchase two M5 bolts but longer so i can mount the map light base on the outside of the headliner and trace it.

I used a utility knife with fresh blades, head liner cuts easily so take your time.

Marked screw holes.jpg
on this picture you can see the holes where the map lights mount to.

back of map light base.jpg
Now comes time to make all the connections. I got this off someone else's thread which was very helpful. you basically need to run two cables from your dome light to your new map lights. The ground is one of the bolts and then the pink wire (middle slot on dome light) is your 12V and the bluish striped wire is the door open triggered ground. you connect them to your map light base using small single wire connectors. it is easier if you twist the middle prong on the three prong located in your map light (where the regular harness would go).
Dome light tapping wires.jpg

I used a wire hanger to fish the wires because there are other barriers in between the dome light and map lights but with patience i got the wires through.

i am unable to upload anymore pictures but the easy part is connecting everything. Hope this helps
Here is finished product, it looks like it came stock from dealership. Aligning it with the original roof holes sure helped in making sure it was positioned right.
Finished.jpg

Picture link with additional pictures.

Honda Map Light Install Story by yocyber23 | Photobucket

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
To add more pictures put them into an online site like flickr, then on your post click on the little earth symbol and copy the link. The picture won't show on this site but the link will take us to the picture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thank you. I know i have a flickr account for when I used to post things on craigslist. i'll check it out. thanks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Great job, looks factory. You're hired!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts