Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered a mod to allow one to manually adjust where the CVT is geared?

If the CVTs are computer controlled one could feasably set up a strick-throttle where all the way back was lowest gear, and all the way forward was highest gear.

Just a thought :D
--Ash

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I just posted this link about a week ago about a possible incline sensor in
the TCM (Transmission Control Module) Here is the link:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3052

This seems to make the ratios chosen by Honda more reasonable.
This mod is real easy (just turning the bracket at little more forward)
and we can see if it really works if more people try it. The last week
of driving it (although mostly in a bad week of a rain storm) seems to
be improved driveability.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, interesting.

Mine is a 5spd, but I've thought about the possibilit of a "manual" CVT since I first test drove an Insight with one in 2000.

Otherwise I'd be glad to help tinker wit the idea.

Thanks for the reply,
--Ash

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I've only driven a couple of CVT Insights & HCH's. Isn't that basically how the S & D buttons on the steering wheel work :?:

And the very essence of the CVT's advantage is that the "best" ratio for given engine RPM, load and throttle angle can be set. Honda has over 10 years experience with the CVT in a couple of different models. I'm sure they've spend a lot of time "tweaking" the preset parameters.

The biggest problem in full manual ratio control is forcing too high a ratio at too high an MPH. Similar to forcing 1st gear at 60 MPH in a 5 speed. So in addition to any manual control a limit must be set to prevent transmission damage and loss of vehicle control.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, dropping the ratio all the way would be as dumb as shifting into 1st at 60mph :p.

One just needs to be careful, however there is alread a builtin protection, as you lower the ratio to beyond the redline it will cut off... it won't have an oppertunity to shoot up to say 8000rpm like a fast shift to 1st at a high speed could allow.

I see no need to "limit" it... just pay attention and try not to bounce it off of the rev limiter.

As for Honda's extensive research, I would say that thier research on the CVT was spent in obtaining lowest emission, NOT best performance OR best gas milage. (Part of the reason the CVT's emission are even lower than the 5spd's)

--Ash

1 - 5 of 5 Posts