Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be better to start my own thread re the Balancing of a G1 battery. Every time I mess with my battery it’s an experiment.
Unlike Eli or eq1 however, in my hands it’s definitely an adventure. So— I started by charging up my battery for about 26 hours, after it did a couple recalls. Then I lit up the bulbs to discharge the pack. I’m using a recipe for time, bulb wattage and voltage readings outlined by S Keith for me a year ago. I worked thru the 150 watt bulb stage to 144 volts. About 6 hours. Lit up the 75 watt bulbs for about 7 hours. During which time the voltage dropped to about 143. It was bed time so I stuck in the 25 watt bulbs. Woke up and the lights were out. Instead of at about 96 volts like it should have been Voltage was 0. I am now charging the pack. At this point I consider it a real life test of how much the pack can be slammed around and maybe survive and flourish. Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
What was the resting voltage after an hour.................after discharging?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m afraid as I said I’m slamming. So ididn’t Wait. Just put it on the charger. The charger dithered around at low 20 s 30s before settling down near 300 mA. The pack voltage after three hours is 160.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Completed a charge/discharge cycle as per Hybrid automotive instructions using Prolong charger over MLK weekend. Used car for short trips. 2 miles to work then back + maybe another 10 per day. Did not pay close attention to charge level per dashboard but it did fluctuate from under a 1/4 to nearly full several times during the week. But the wife's Prius does that too. Had it out Saturday evening and IMA light back on. Do I need to talk to Bumblebee? !65000+ miles on supposedly 2nd battery pack in 2001 stick shift.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
If it is a constant 183V charge for about 2 hours, I would then terminate the action.
Let it set for 4 hours and report back with a batt. voltage reading.

·
7,090 Posts
Depending on ambient temps, 183V @ 350mA tells me that you've got some high IR sticks going on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stopped the charge an hour back at 182V. Had Just screwed down some 150W bulbs, saw your message ran out and turned em off. Volt read is170 to 175 right now after an hour sitting. I’ll post the voltage in three hours. What does IR mean?

·
7,090 Posts
IR = Internal Resistance. Sorry. I need to be better about that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since you’re watching Eli I’ll stop being sloppy. My charger charges 295 to 300mA. I’m in Portland so same outdoor temp as you. And when I stopped the charge it was dithering between 182 and 183V. Now 2 + hours later it’s 170V

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
That sounds pretty typical to me, it depends a lot on what the pack temp is, though. Full grid charges after a discharge as deeply as you've gone always?/usually? end with extra high voltages. Around 180V around say 60F?, 70F?, I don't think that would suggest 'high IR' cells in the sense of that 'high IR' causing major problems... Basically, you could have high IR cells, but I don't think you can draw that conclusion for your scenario... Grid charges can be really weird after very deep discharges...

·
7,090 Posts
Ah, didn't realize you were in town. :)

50mA isn't much of a difference, but it does make things lean all the more towards "bad". Hitting 183V and then dithering around 182-183V is normal as the the ambient temp rises; you would see the opposite if doing it at night with the temperature falling.

The sticks can take a beating and keep on ticking in general. Damage is miniscule and cumulative, easily eclipsed by other phenomenon. So if you were getting say 50 miles average between IMA lights, doing this procedure might bring you up to 150 miles, which will slowly dwindle back down to 45 miles average between IMA lights. That 5 miles would represent damage done. That's just an example, for most people everything is too dynamic to nail it down like that. But that's the idea.....

·
7,090 Posts
Unfortunately, it does point in the high IR direction. Sticks hitting well over 9V under only 300mA is not a good sign.

I used to grid charge every core pack that we received for 24 hours before breaking it down, logging start voltage and end voltage. It was quickly apparent that packs full of good sticks peak around 179-180V and full of bad sticks peak around 184V. Might have seen some 186's in there too. Been a while since I we did this, and all the data was on paper. But that was the idea.

Found a pic:

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
^ Yeah, but does that include after a very deep discharge? He took it down to zero volts... I have always seen much higher voltages at peak if the charge is on a deeply discharged pack vs. a normally used pack...

edit: hmm, maybe you're right. I'm looking at a grid charge I did a bit over a year ago, after a deep discharge, and my taps peaked at 17.9 to 18.0 with one at 18.1, and that's probably at about 60-65 degrees F. I guess I just use a lot of 'wiggle room' in the values we see people report, due to VM differences and temp differences, where 183V could very well be 180...

Here's that graph:

·
7,090 Posts
I guess not explicitly. I haven't done much deep discharging experimentation on Honda stuff to be honest. I have no shortage of sticks that are dead. :D Packs come to me virtually completely dead all the time.

Is there a voltage curve difference between a deeply discharged stick, and one that is already sitting at 0.2 - 0.6V per cell? That's a good question, I don't know off hand. I probably have some data.. somewhere...

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
But packs come to me virtually completely dead all the time. Is there a voltage curve difference between a deeply discharged stick, and one that is already sitting at 0.2 - 0.6V per cell?
No, I don't think so. What you see charging a deeply self-discharged stick/pack/cell is generally the same as a manually deeply discharged one.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts