Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I just wanted to add, since you and eq1 are looking over my shoulder on this. Without any evidence other than the timing of my first nosedive discharge. I’m pretty sure that I stopped that dive at the moment it hit 0 volts. I had finished the first stage from 183V to 144v. I put the two 25 watt bulbs in and left it for about 11 hours over nite. For what it’s worth.

·
7,090 Posts
Unfortunately, there's no real way to tell much about the battery without basically getting to the point where you're a few steps from removing it. :( I guess we could take the cover off and be like "Yeah, they're orange Honda sticks.." lol. May as well remove it, break it down and test it at that point, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm pretty booked tomorrow, but sure, if you want to stop by we can arrange that. I feel bad watching people go through all of this, after I realized you were in Portland I almost told you to just come by and we'll take a look at your battery on a weekend or something.

Hybrid Battery Repair's experience made me shy away from fixing people's batteries, but I can do it on a limited basis. First you need to see how long what you've done lasts though. If you got 3,000 miles before, it might be very fruitful.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Eli thanks. But here’s what I’m thinking. I bought the car knowing I’d need a new battery at some point. I’m in it for the long haul. You are the go to when that time comes. I have no problem seeing how long it lasts by doing the grid charge discharge thing. And when that no longer works you will be the first to know. For now I’m getting ready to stop the charger. It held steady at 180 for the last two hours and now it’s reading 179. So I think it might still be functional. I’m going to give it another hour. Which is almost exactly what you said it would be. I don’t need to be bothering you now, I’m sure we'll meet sooner or later.

·
7,090 Posts
The voltage thing is interesting, it seems obvious now that the deep discharge precipitated the 183V reading. I think eq1 is right, you can't just blanket voltage and IR like I was trying to do earlier; there are too many ifs, ands and buts... like always seems to be the case with these batteries.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
What is the V after about 4 hours, of resting.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
10:30 about 4 hours since I stopped the grid charge. I’m using my old analogue multi tester and my reading glasses to check the voltage of my battery pack. The needle on the dial was wavering slightly in the space between the 165 and 170 volt marks. But mostly right between the marks so— 167 -168 V.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Summary.
Noticed for first time a couple recalls.
Average temps 50 f
Grid charged 26 hours @300 mA, final pack voltage 178
Discharge: 2-150 watt bulbs 6 hours to 144V, 2 75 watt bulbs for 7 hours to 143 V, 2-25 watt bulbs 11 hours to 0V
Grid charge 29 hours to 182 - 183 V. Which fell upon sitting 5 hours to 169V
Discharged: 2-150 watt bulbs 3.5 hours to 150V
Grid charged 23 hours to 180 V which dropped to 167 168 V after sitting 4 hours.
Drove car seems fine.

·
7,090 Posts
Now the real test...... Time. :)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts