Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the USA, auto Inspection requirements vary from one state to another. Here in Massachusetts, the auto inspection requisite is annual, with a “central” computer interactively determining the specific details of the procedure.

In the past, every second year, cars registered in Massachusetts needed to pass an emissions test that involved realistic driving conditions on hills, simulated on a dynamometer. Several years ago, the results of this test were determined to be bogus, and it was eliminated. About 16 months ago, the test was re-established for vehicles 1996 and older. The OBD (on-board diagnostic) computer in newer cars provides the required information for emissions, and precludes the need for dynamometer testing with those vehicles.

Today, I was informed that the State central computer (the “Wizard of Oz”) had requested a dynamometer test for my 2001 Insight. This occurred at a local, medium sized repair facility with state-of-the-art capabilities. They informed me that this was the first, post-1996 car that a dynamometer test had been requested for since the latest guidelines had been established. After several attempts at the dynamometer routine, the local computer (networked with the “wizard”) was told that the exhaust emissions were not realistic. In other words, the wizard suspected “clean piping”, which is a means of fudging the results, apparently sometimes illegally used to pass a “dirty vehicle”.
Apparently, the “wizard” was eventually satisfied, and despite 5 deg. F outdoor temperatures at the time of the inspection, my report indicated that the hydrocarbon emissions were 0.25% of the limit, and the Carbon Monoxide limits were 7% of the limit. The NOx emissions were 0.00.
On a positive note, this ordeal prompted the proprietor to a discussion with me about hydrogen fuel cell vehicles of the future.

Since for me, the nearest Honda dealer is across the state line in nearby New Hampshire, it's more convenient to get the state inspection at a local facility.
Considering that our Honda Insights will always be esoteric, it is possible that the person who performs the state inspection (at a venue other than a Honda dealer) has never seen one before.
I would therefore suggest that before having your Insight inspected, you set the odometer to “lifetime” mode, and politely offer assistance if it's needed. Then, say a silent prayer that nothing will be destroyed in the process.
For me, every annual inspection has been an adventure.

I’d be interested in hearing if any other Massachusetts residents have had a dynamometer test requirement for inspection in the past year.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
In the UK, every car over three years old has to pass a 'MoT' test annually to ensure that all parts of the car are working how they should. This includes an emissions test (where they put a reader up the exhaust, not just reading codes).

You can imagine the difficulties they had when trying to measure emissions from one of my previous Insights. Emissions are normally measured at idle and they failed to get a reading so they had to rev the engine to around 4,000 rpm to get a measurement. One of the testers said to me "that thing is just emitting hot air!" :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's awesome Citrus.

In the state of Oregon they require a DEQ test in the major urban areas to look for smog & other pollution. I had a car whose engine had a major vacuum leak, and would idle rough with a substantially low air/fuel mix ratio. It came back error several times and I wondered if that would happen with my Insight... due to the low emissions.

-Phil

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Thanks for sharing the story. My state emissions they run the cars on a dynamometer if it's 95 or older, actually I think 70 something they just idle test. But anything 96 and newer they OBD test. New cars are exempt from the test for the first 5 years of their life, so I don't have to go for another few years.

That said, my parent's run a shop that specializes in emissions repairs. I keep telling myself one day when it's dead we need to run my car on the machine and see if it can even read anything.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The emissions procedure in Germany is similar to the one in England.
For a new car it is after three years and then every second year.

The guy who did the check on mine had never seen a hybrid before and couldn't believe the readings he was getting out of the machine. He said that the air going into the engine was dirtier than the emissions coming out 8)

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
See if you can get the data. I had a dyno test done on my Insight when I moved to Cape Cod in 2002, and the output emissions levels were better than SULEV, which was nice to see.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Tell me if I am wrong but I always thought that the emission label was for emission test copmpliance and not related to what is comming out of the car.

By that I mean that in Canada and some US states, the car is ULEV. In other states the car is SULEV.
This does not mean that the cars are different but only that they need to pass a certain test.

I am sure that all over the world, the emission parts are the same. Only lights, license plate, driver side steering are different, esthetics but not main items.

We do not have such tests here.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Yves:

___The emissions rating as posted is to show the Insight met a compliance spec. The actual emissions were measured and rated from what was coming out of the car on an FTP75 (std. EPA test) test.

___The 5-speed is a LEV on high sulfur gasoline which available throughout much of North America. The ULEV rating comes about when the Insight is using low sulfur (LS) gas as can be found in the clean states and at many BP stations in the non-clean fuel states under the “Ultimate” moniker. The CAT(s) are more efficient at scrubbing the influent w/out the sulfur competing/poisoning the SCR surfaces.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:efh10qnq][email protected][/email:efh10qnq]

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not necessarily an Insight...

In AZ in '96 I had to have the tailpipe emissions measured on my Tercel, which at that time had 4,800 miles on the odometer.

They couldn't get it to register anything...cycled it through three times before registering 0.02 on one marker (can't recall which) showing that the equipment was working.

Haven't had to smog Mouse here yet.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In reference to the topic header, the specific results of the dynamometer (dynamic driving conditions) emissions test, all in units of grams per mile were:

HC (HydroCarbons) 0.02
CO (Carbon Monoxide) 1.04
NOx (Nitrous Oxides) 0.00
CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) 186.89

'Still hoping to hear from other MA residents as to whether or not the dynamometer test was required for your Insight(s) in the past 16 months.
You'd know if the test was done if you received a Vehicle Inspection Report indicating " Enhanced Emissions & Safety Test".

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
For reference here are the standards (from here), all units are in g/mi.

HC (HydroCarbons) 0.055 ULEV, 0.010 SULEV
CO (Carbon Monoxide) 2.1 ULEV, 1.0 SULEV
NOx (Nitrous Oxides) 0.07 ULEV, 0.02 SULEV

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___The latest 2004 + California Light Duty Vehicle Emissions Standards in g/mile …

NMOG: 50K/120K

LEV-II: 0.075/0.090
ULEV-II: 0.040/0.055
SULEV-II: - /0.010
ZEV-II: 0/0

CO: 50K/120K

LEV-II: 3.4/4.2
ULEV-II: 1.7/2.1
SULEV-II: - /1.0

NOx: 50K/120K

LEV-II: 0.05/0.07
ULEV-II: 0.05/0.07
SULEV-II: - /0.02

PM: 50K/120K

LEV-II: - /0.01
ULEV-II: - /0.01
SULEV-II: - /0.01

HCHO: 50K/120K:

LEV-II: 0.015/0.018
ULEV-II: 0.008/0.011
SULEV-II: - /0.004

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2p1mopyj][email protected][/email:2p1mopyj]

·
Registered
741 Posts
I like Maryland. Inspected once & that's it... for life! Saves a lot of money & time.

The emissions inspection is every 5 years.

troy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts