Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lurking for a while I'd like to seek some advice. My apologies if my searches and reading failed to turn up just the comments that I'm looking for, but this seems to be a patient group.

Looking at the "problems" area, and a few other comments in general discussion I get the impression that Honda dealers are generally not much interested in working on Insights, nor experienced; and, perhaps, not thoroughly trained on the Insight. Additionally everyone here seems to have substantial technical knowledge and skills, but still have to cope with technical problems.

My question then is what the recommendations would be from you knowledgeable people for whether a mechanically unskilled and talentless driver, past the age of significant trainability, would be able to cope with the Insight. I like the idea of it but I'm not sure I could face the reality if I'm supposed to coach the dealer through servicing and problem resolution.

I'll appreciate your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi gfv6800 and welcome to the forum :!: :)

First off you've got to remember the slant of any forum, its generally negative. Not because people are, but we're much more motivated to express our unhappiness then when our expectations are met.

However, from your own assessment of yourself you may be unhappy with an Insight. MPG is unforgiving if you aren't "trainable". ;) :p

Many of the "problems" have arisen from misconceptions of hybrids, their abilities and quirks. This occurs on both sides of the fence (owner's and mechanics). Your best defense in this regard is to take the time to _fully_ understand what your buying so you can communicate intelligently about it (and know when someone else cannot). Its then relatively simple to shop til you find a competent repair shop. :)

You don't have to "know" all the technicals, but a thorough understanding of the concepts will alert you when your told something to the contrary.

Spend some more time reading these forums and post any further questions that you think we might be able to help with. :)

May I recommend starting here:

What to look for when buying used?
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3814
(see my reply in the thread)

and:

Recals, Forced Charge, IMA Battery & thermal mgmt - long
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

And don't forget the I.C. encyclopedia:

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/index.html

Should the worst happen with your future Insight and you can't get satisfaction we'll be here too :!: ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey that is no reason not to get an insight! First of all it is reliable. It hardly ever breaks down. Compare it to any other car, it is almost always more reliable. Sure it has it problems and bugs, but nobody who has one wants to sell it. You don't have to go though all the trouble of oil and filter changes on your drive way to save $5. Read the fourms how many times do you see a post that an insight had to be towed because it broke. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Insightful Trekker and Downloader, :D

Looks like I need to do some more reading :shock: and thinking. (Darn, that last part is so painful sometimes.) :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I'm only a stone's throw south of "the line" down 35. Be glad to meet for an Insight "show and tell", and you can see the Insight close up, if this will help. Would also be willing to help you with any future maintainence repair type stuff. Have all the manuals, and I totally understand
past the age of significant trainability
, as I reside there myself. :D

Randall

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Highwater,

Thanks :!: I will probably want to consult you after I do some more homework.

I said this was a patient group; I should have also said "gracious." :!:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
An Insight is reliable as long as you don't bring it to Honda for repairs/maintenance.

No one is ever past an age where they can learn! :) Simple maintenance like changing oil, coolant, rotating tires, etc. is well within the scope of anyone and can connect you with your vehicle mcuh more then just dropping off the keys at the service department. And then when something does happen, you'll be more educated when you discuss it with the mechanic (I wonder how many people just sign on the bottom line having absolutely no clue what they just paid for?).

It's a unique car and certainly has it's quirks but amazingly reliable as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Aaron--

Actually, reading about your experience last year increased my concerns a bit so I'm especially glad to get your reaction.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just a word in praise of honda--
I had a lot of work done for free, by honda and dealers, on my insight. I think it mostly has to do with finding the right group of people. One dealership I like, the other...not so much. A third is ok.
You will definately have to change your driving patterns to get the most from your insight. You also will have an immediate conversation starter wherever you go :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bug girl--

Thanks for the thoughts--I hadn't thought about the conversation part at all. Now I have another reason to finish the homework Trekker suggested, since I'm sure that a response of "uhmm," isn't going to satisfy anyone who takes the trouble to inquire.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
bug_girl said:
You also will have an immediate conversation starter wherever you go :)
I can vouch for that. During the good weather I need to set aside at least an extra hour a day to talk to people about the car. At times this can get tiring as many people don't seem to understand that, for example, if you're at a rest stop on the highway at 4AM you just want to get home. But in general it's a very positive experience even though I always find myself basically covering the same topics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aaron Cake wrote:

bug_girl wrote:
You also will have an immediate conversation starter wherever you go
I can vouch for that. During the good weather I need to set aside at least an extra hour a day to talk to people about the car. At times this can get tiring as many people don't seem to understand that, for example, if you're at a rest stop on the highway at 4AM you just want to get home. But in general it's a very positive experience even though I always find myself basically covering the same topics

Maybe Honda should be paying for all this missionary work?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
gfv6800 said:
I hadn't thought about the conversation part at all. Now I have another reason to finish the homework Trekker suggested, since I'm sure that a response of "uhmm," isn't going to satisfy anyone who takes the trouble to inquire.
I put together A4 hand-outs which summarises all the interesting points of the Insight to save on the ten minute conversations. I have two versions for both the USA and UK. (Everyone) feel free to e-mail me if you would like a copy. HTH!

·
Registered
364 Posts
New Insighter

Hi Gfv6800,
Trekker has it right, there have been a few of us that really never learned to listen to the car, and get the mileage the car is capable of. All the information is there on the display, plus good driving tips you can pick up around here.

On the vehicle reliability and getting it repaired side, you may have some trouble finding a mechanic that knows the car. Unfortunately, this can apply to Honda dealer mechanics as well. Fortunately, the car is usually reliable. I'm on my third one with no issues. This isn't always the case, as Citrus could share with you. His car had real serious issues, scary ones, and he found a mechanic from hell. Dan as well, his car had issues as scary as Citrus's car, took months to pin that one down, plus his tranny grinding (I drove it) like marbles in a blender :shock: . A Honda dealer mechanic I thought was good, failed to isolate the problem :( , oh well.

I'm like you guys and gals, always answering questions to promote our little jewels. Citrus has the answer, hand-outs! Somethig they can take with them to show around and have more impact, excellant. Thanks Citrus, I'll email you for that, or you could send it to me, email link below. :D . It's a beautiful thing, Jack

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your thoughts, Jack.

Citrus sent the handout promptly by email and it looks like the perfect beginning to my education!

gfv

1 - 16 of 16 Posts