Honda Insight Forum banner

advice on changing oil at home

3169 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Dougie
Hello,
I am a new owner of a 2000 Insight, and would like to change my own oil in an attempt to save some money. Does anyone have specific details on removing the shield to access the drain plug, the tools and wrench/socket sizes for the shield and plug, how tightly the filter and plug should be replaced, how much oil is needed (exactly 3 quarts?), and anything else I should know....
Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
595 Posts
I believe changing the oil and oil filter uses 2.7 quarts, and just changing the oil uses 2.5 or 2.6 quarts. There has been lots of discussion about this because dealers almost always overfill (well above the top fill line) because they dump in three full quarts, not to mention often using regular bulk oil they have at the shop. Most everyone uses Mobile 1 synthetic, 0W-20 or 5W-20 if your shop is out of 0W-20 which they stopped making recently.

· Premium Member
595 Posts
FYI

Edwin was up for his first oil change since the turbo, and Bluebelle was about due.

As I was hoping, Bluebelle's filter and drain plug were both just at the correct torque and her filter came off easily by hand. This was because her previous owner had her serviced at Grainger Honda in Savannah, GA were she lived her previous life. Apparently, they were competent. Edwin's oil filter is still there because it was put on by the shop so much overtightened that no amount of manual force will remove it. The drain plug came off, but was overtight as well. I am hoping that a strap wrench will get the filter off and that it is not cross threaded. The moral is that some shops are competetent, and others are not and that you are always better off doing it yourself.

Be prepared and get a wrench so that if your previous guys messed it up, you don't have your car sitting there with no oil in it and the old filter stuck until you can get it off somehow. One wonders how so called professionals can be so incompetent - do it yourself if you ever have the option.

· Premium Member
595 Posts
Good advice. I do not think that anything spun other than the filter.

I definitely am careful to clean off the contact surface (and in the process make sure no old O-ring left there) and lube up the new filter O-ring with some fresh oil before putting it on.

I torque the drain plug with a new washer to 29 ft-lb as per the service manual. I haven't used teflon tape. No leaks, so I guess it is fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.