Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got my Insight a week ago and so far doing 44MPG, but still looking for any advices and still having some questions:

Do I need to:
1. Use or not the Eco button where I have a lot of stops/lights?
2. Turn off the Eco button when driving uphill and downhill?
3. Keep the Eco button when driving "flat" freeway?

other advices?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The biggest increase is found by adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel.

People have reported both increases and decreases with use of econ mode.

Just sit back and read the forms here and the first gen one for tips and tricks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ALWAYS drive with Econ ON unless I absolutely need the extra power that OFF provides. Driving uphill, especially in the tunnels around me, is one example.

I do not have cruise-control, but when driving on a flat surface, my realtime-MPG MID screen always improves when I push the ECON to "ON".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Flat Cruise..

I ALWAYS drive with Econ ON unless I absolutely need the extra power that OFF provides. Driving uphill, especially in the tunnels around me, is one example.

I do not have cruise-control, but when driving on a flat surface, my realtime-MPG MID screen always improves when I push the ECON to "ON".
Cruise Control always does better MPG for me. I use whenever possible on level/flat terrain.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I have got my Insight a week ago and so far doing 44MPG, but still looking for any advices and still having some questions:

Do I need to:
1. Use or not the Eco button where I have a lot of stops/lights?
2. Turn off the Eco button when driving uphill and downhill?
3. Keep the Eco button when driving "flat" freeway?

other advices?

Thanks.
Congrats on your new car. I am still experimenting with Econ on/off but have kept it on most of the time. Even so, my mpg can vary greatly, depending on traffic conditions, slight variations in my driving/throttle pressure, and the timing of the signals. For example, yesterday I drove to pick up pizza a few miles away. As stated, Econ was on. I got 67 mpg for a short drive. The terrain is mostly flat, a few stop signs and few signals. No long idling, and one area with a decent downhill for about a 1/2 mile. On the way back, retracing my steps, I got only 38+ mpg. The return trip included going back up the hill, and I was probably pressing the gas a bit more but I blame it on the pizza :D.

Earlier this week I drove about 45 min. on a flat, main thoroughfare (not freeway ) and never went over 45 mph and made mostly green lights. I was at nearly 71 mpg at one point. But then I got on the freeway, increased speed to 60-65 mph, went up and over some hills, and finally ended with mpg in the high 50's. All on Econ.

As soon as I take Econ off, I end up in the bright blue light of my dash :mad: so I just keep it on. But after reading some posts here I am going to experiment more with Econ off, particularly when using cruise control.

·
Registered
605 Posts
One thing I noticed about ECON is that if you have it ON. Then you hold the gas pedal in exactly the same spot, while pushing the button to OFF. What happens is the engine rpm goes up. Also there is less pedal travel needed to achieve a given amount of acceleration. This is great at low speeds where ON gives more pedal travel allowing for more subtle use of the gas pedal ...and higher mpg.

·
Registered
36 Posts
okay, Someone said something about the "Nut behind the steeringwheel"... I just want to know What the HELL are you talking about :D?

·
Registered
74 Posts
okay, Someone said something about the "Nut behind the steeringwheel"... I just want to know What the HELL are you talking about :D?
I'm thinking Cobb (intentionally ;) ) misquoted the old system administrator's adage, "Problem exists between keyboard and chair."

In this case, the adjustment goes to the nut situated between the steering wheel and the driver's seat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm thinking Cobb (intentionally ;) ) misquoted the old system administrator's adage, "Problem exists between keyboard and chair."
Haha, PEBKAC is exactly what I pictured when I read Cobb's post :D

I barely get the EPA estimate on an average tank, so I'm surprised my MID hasn't given me a I-D-"TEN"-T code yet ;)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, PEBKAC!!!!

When I started driving 5 or so years ago, I found it was easy to achieve if not beat the new or old epa ratings. After talking to other people and watching them drive, I found out why.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts