Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be all in my head, but after lending my baby to a friend, I noticed the engine is running louder than usual. When idling it is loud with a clicking type idle more than the nice hum.

Anyone else have this happen? Do I need a tune-up? Anyone out there done their own tune ups

Also: I'm about to take my baby on her first LOOOONNNGGg drive. NJ to GA. I'm getting new tires put in, just changed her oil myself, checked all fluids, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Any recommendations on services I should do before my big trip?
BTW - my baby had 90k miles on her.

Toodles! (yep, I used the word toodles....)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Ouch!

Before you drive another mile, check the oil level incase your friend hit the magnesium oil pan on a rock creating a leak. Before a long trip would be a great time to change the oil and filter anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi NewHog; What year in your car? CVT or 5-speed? If the tires are replaced, be sure to get the OEM's, Bridgestone Potenza RE92, 165/65-14 if you are interested in maximum mpg.

The term "tune-up" was meaningful many years ago, when most cars needed spark plugs, points, condenser, ignition timing check, dwell set properly, etc. Modern cars needs spark plugs changed (Insight @ 105,000 miles) but that's about it. I would, however, recommend replacing the engine coolant more often than the manual calls for....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Seat fix for long trips.

My wife and I have taken a couple of long trips with our '01 Insight. We've discovered two problems.

The first is that this car doesn't have to stop for gas! This causes problems with human bladders. We used to plan for a fill and an empty at the same time, but now we just have to look for places to empty ;)

The second is the support in the seats. I found that after many hours in the seat that I would get a sore back. I solved the problem by adding some extra padding inside the seat back. This car is the easiest one I've ever found for getting inside the seats. Just slide them all the way forward in the track and flip the back all the forward. There is a plastic catch that holds the seat back material snug that runs the full width of the seat at the bottom of the seat back. It's fairly easy to unhook once you see it. Then undo the two zippers that run up both sides of the seat back. Now you can see the springs and padding inside. I added a six inch wide strip of dense foam down the center of the seat back by tucking it under the springs. I then added another piece to create a better lumbar support. You'll have to play around a little to find what works for your back as everyone is different. The result is a seat that I can now sit in for hours/days with no problems (accept for the previously mentioned issue with the gas tank and my bladder ;) ).

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts