Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lost my under engine aero pan on the highway - Dealer is stepping up to replace it (they're the only ones who have ever taken it on and off).
With out the plastic beast in place I'm losing about 1 to 2 mpg.
Can't wait to get it back on!!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi I am missing all of them . the supports were damaged too,
so recently I changed the inner fenders and the vertical supports , have bought the big parts a couple of months ago.
Now expecting some more small parts and will try to fix them myself,
they have 2 small pieces in front of each front tire, two larger plastic panels and one very large aluminum one, which one(s) are you missing presently?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there are supposed to be the long plastic covers on both sides of the car? I'm not talking about the short ones that cover the engine compartment underneath, but I have a black plastic aero pan that runs along the driver's side, but appears to be missing one on passenger side. Thanks for help.

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Yes there are two "long" aero panels under the Ist. Gen insight.
One on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.

Willie

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is this a 1st gen or 2nd gen issue? It is in the 2nd gen forum, however it appears that most of the responses are 1st gen owners.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the Gen 1 owners are getting tired of less action in their forum so they come over here to hijack ours!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
Got the Gen II's pan replaced last night. Service guys showed me the mounting and I'm NOT impressed. The screws and metal clip portions are OK, but the "push me - pull you" plastic pins are BULLSH*T.
They suggest I pony up and have the cheap plastic pins replaced new every time the pan is dropped for service.
I've had motorcycles that retain body work with a similar arraignment and their pins never last long - what is Honda thinking?

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I think the Gen 1 owners are getting tired of less action in their forum so they come over here to hijack ours!
When you use the "New Posts" link, it only shows the category name as "Honda Insight MPG" with no reference to Gen 1 or Gen 2....If you search by forum you will find that this one does belong to the Gen 2 forum.

However, Areo covers are common to both generations so I don't see why others can not contribute.

I can no longer count the number of times that Gen 2 owners post in Gen 1 forums but we don't seem to mind....We can share our knowledge. There are many issues that Gen 2 owners are just discovering that Gen 1 owners are already aware of....

That being said, IMO, the plastic push pins do last a long time as long as they are removed properly each time. Longterm, I think they are a better idea compared to the metal bolt and clip method that seems to rust over time in high moisture prone areas.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was not complaining about Gen1 owners posting on the Gen2 forum, I only wanted clarification on which model the OP was referring. I was a Gen1 owner for 9 years (2001 MT) and replaced every under body panel at least once.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I bought a bag of those plastic clippie things from ebay for a few dollars. I have destroyed quite a few either from being too rough or the conditions makes them so brittle they come apart.

Yeah, my belly pad has taken a beating and has a nice nick in the part that covers the right engine mount. The whole thing had length wise scratches alone it, but the bottom of the bumper is clean.

Got to make sure when you lign up the holes in the front you get the push pins through the hole in the bumper bottom piece and the hole in the front cross member.

One of the push pins for the rear passenger size piece was gone and a nice gash led up to that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts