Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a table for the lift that the Insight generates at varying speeds? Or where I can find such info? Plenty available about the drag coefficient but I can't find anything on the lift.

Thanks,
--Ash

·
Registered
75 Posts
My guess would be that this data does not actually exist. I'm sure someone can approximate it using some valid assumptions, but it's unlikely Honda (or anyone else) ever took the time to generate this data. One of the complications exists because a wind tunnel can not accurately calculate the force coefficients of a car. Since the floor of the wind tunnel does not move during the test, the boundary layer effects along the underside are not simulated. I guess you'd have to have the car on a conveyor belt.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just been fantasizing about modding an Insight for endurance racing. :D

Rundown of thoughts:

tear the whole car down and remove all sound deadening and etc, lower weight even more if possible.

Lower the car and add flat paneling undernieth along with a under flow passage for downforce.

Using some CNC machined adapter plates replace the IMA motor with 2 new civic hybrid IMA motors. (~40hp instead of ~15hp) This would require altering the motor mounts but I think there is room.

Replace the NiMH pack with a Li-Ion pack in series with a couple Ultra-caps to better utilize the regen from previous mod.

Setup hydraulic "cam" to depress exhaust valves during brake+regen

Set rear suspension in so that wider performance tires will fit behind fender covers... alternately fabricate fender covers that bulge out a little for the tires.

Install MIMA with control buttons on steering wheel.

Put on helmet

Hope to god I didn't just spend $50,000 to build a car that the SCCA won't allow into any class :D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Kobushi said:
Lower the car and add flat paneling undernieth along with a under flow passage for downforce.
If the exhaust pipes do not have access to fresh air under the car I suspect serious heat damage under the car may occur.
Mazda 5s were re-called recently because a few of them catch on fire because people forgot they were in the manual mode and left it in 2nd gear for long periods of time during highway driving....

If the passage is designed to create downforce it will also increase drag slowing the car down.

Kobushi said:
Set rear suspension in so that wider performance tires will fit behind fender covers... alternately fabricate fender covers that bulge out a little for the tires.
With the right rim offset 205 tires fit. But even 195 tires have all the rubber needed specially if you use 7" wide rims. Make sure you use Kumho 710 or Hoosier R-compound tires for best results :twisted:

Kobushi said:
Hope to god I didn't just spend $50,000 to build a car that the SCCA won't allow into any class :D
Rule #1 in racing
Read the rule book before you spend any money on the car.
Prep the car to the maximum allowable state in rule book so choose your class and racing category wisely for the car you have.
What makes some cars go faster can slow other cars down so do lots of research.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said I'm mostly just fantasizing. But I like to be somewhat realistic about my fantasies, thus requesting the lift data.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts