Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw an Insight with a set of 15" alloy wheels from the present series Civic Si. I wasn't able to talk to the owner and wondered if anyone has fitted different wheels and how they worked out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am running 205 winter tires ( bought for an SI that was stolen), I bought new steel civic rims,
and have no problems as far as rubbing or tread wear, offset or turning raduis. I am considering going wider and more sticky on the factory alloys for summer driving.

Hugh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am running 205 winter tires ( bought for an SI that was stolen), I bought new steel civic rims,
and have no problems as far as rubbing or tread wear, offset or turning raduis. I am considering going wider and more sticky on the factory alloys for summer driving.

Hugh.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a set of 16" wheels on my Insight for 1 week (had them laying around and decided to try them). Running them with 205x40 Z-rated tires I saw a HUGE DECREASE in mileage (~15-18 mpg) which I could not live with. Anyway, here is a photo of how it looked:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wow BlueInsight1701, your car looks great with those wheels. Cosmetically, I think especially with the blue, the effect is stunning. I'd imagine the reduction in mpg comes from several factors: 1. Weight, I'd hazard that the standard alloy wheels are lighter in two ways, overall weight and unsprung weight. The second is probably more important, with only limited horsepower to rotate the front wheels, every pound added at the wheels is more horsepower required to get the wheel itself moving, and hence the car too. 2. Increased contact patch size of the tires, which again increases rolling resistance taking more power to get going and reducing coasting distances 3. Aerodynamics, I've read somewhere that the rear wheel spats add like 3 to 4 mpg, and the original wheels are designed to be aerodynamic and again, I'd hazard that that the aftermarket wheels create more turbulance which would decrease mpg. Its a shame that the decrease was so substantial though, because honestly I think that your car pictured with those wheels is just sharp!

When you had them on, did you notice any differences other than the drop in mileage, say like better handling, any clearance issues, changes in ride harshness?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to you all for the information. I was thinking of doing a plus 1 using 15" wheels with 195/50 tires. Konig has a wheel that will fit called "Helium" and it weighs 11.25 lbs, that seems light but I don't know what the stock wheel weighs.
Blue Insight 1701 thanks for posting the picture, your car looked great I don't know if I could have taken them off!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Jerry, even if the wheels are similarly weighted to the originals, don't be surprised if the increased size of the contact patch, increasing rolling resistance of the tire, cause some degradation of mileage, although handling should probably improve.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ater market wheels

Hambone I knew I would take a hit on the milage but if the car could look half as good as BlueInsight 1701's I would be happy .
BlueInsight 1701 could you tell me what width tires yours were as you did get a big drop in milage also I know this is an Insight forum but could you tell me what camera you used for that picture?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, if I could afford to make my Insight look that good, I think I might do it too for around town driving, and pop the original wheels back on for long distance travel to get the benefit of the better mpg. BlueInsight1701's car in the pic is just spectacular. I don't think I've ever seen an Insight that looked better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. To wet your appetite even more, here is a photo of my custom full-leather interior (I used to work for an interior shop and performed the work myself):

·
Registered
200 Posts
Damn nice BlueInsight1701! You do really nice work, it looks factory installed. When do you feel like heading to the right coast to do that to my Insight?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice wheels and nice leather interior too, BlueInsight1701. You do nice work. In reference to the wheels and the decrease in MPG, could any of that have come from a difference in tire diameter? I've changed wheels and tires on other high gas mileage cars and always had to either change the odometer gears, or just use a formula to figure out the correct gas mileage.

In reference to your leather interior, do you have a set of patterns or drawings that could be used to replicate what you have done? It looks great.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow... VERY nice seats... Wanna make two more and send them over here to California? :)

How much did they cost you to make?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts