Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think it was that full, but I drained approx .6 qts the other day and my mpg started climbing again....my average had been about 71.4 a tank, but I couldn't break a 69 avg with super conservative driving; after the removal - avg on this new tank of gas is 73 and holding (with M1 0w-20).

btw - 90°F++ temps really seem to zap the IMA battery.

·
Registered
133 Posts
my dealer overfilled my beloved CVT insight. I discovered this when my engine clunked to a halt in the middle of the highway, requiring some sweat inducing measures to get off safely...

(basically I shifted to neutral, grabbed the steering wheel very carefully and tightly, and made it through traffic to the shoulder.).

It restarted and I got to a nearby dealer, who checked it out, said the [mumble] had shut off the engine due to the high oil, drained out a bit, and everything was ok.

Anyway, I didn't notice any lower mileage, but given the driving conditions I might not have.

The bit about recals due to the weather are, I suspect, more to do with the added electrical demand from the air conditioning. I've noticed that when I keep my 12v -> 120VAC adapter in the cigarette lighter, or if I use a/c when in city traffic, that I get plenty of recals. If I'm using a/c on the highway there's no problem.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Same thing happened to me last week. Oil Change at Honda and mpg drops from 75 to 68 on a tank. Low and behold the dipstick is pegged. The car has not stopped, but the engine sounds a little different. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. And they charge more for an Insight because they have to remove the panel to get to the drain plug.

now where can I get that fumoto plug again?

I imagine the warning to all of us should be that if Honda changes your oil, check the level before you leave, or maybe pay. jeez.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the proper level on the dip stick should be?

I thought only the Prius drivers were concerned with overfilling the crankcase and hurting their fuel economy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ever since I went to what was my second service department and had my engine oil overfilled, my coolant underfilled, and they tried to sell me new front brake pads at 42,000 Kms - I now service the car myself.

A friend of mine got a new motor from Honda when his Insight developed an oil leak at 100,000Kms. I wonder now if his engine had been overfilled and the additional pressure blew out a gasket.

Bill

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
A few things that may help others here after my "experiments" last night.

The dip stick was more than 1/4" above the top hole and I became a bit spooked about taking out the drain plug with the possibility of damaging the pan from what I've read here at IC.

1. Bought a very good siphon at the local auto store and siphoned all the oil out of the pan in about 5 minutes! (engine very warm, and after the first batch was out I raised the car with a floor jack on the drivers side to "tilt" the remainder out. that was another 1/3 pf a quart.). Funny slurping sound at the end, like a kid with a slushee. but that's to be expected. Can't wait to do the lawn equipment, snow thrower, Pilot and Accord this way.

2. Measured what I took out... 3.4 quarts!! - yup - no kidding.

3. Put 2.6 quarts oil back in (filter still aok, changed 2 weeks ago).

4. Turn the "Key Lime Pi" back on - engine immediately sounded much better.

5. Check dip stick 3x - level was dead center betweeen both holes.

6. calculated that Honda overfilled the car by nearly 35% (accounting for some oil still in the filter) of the spec...nice job....

I'll see if I the mpg goes up once I get the car back on the road next week and report back..
Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts