Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that if I drop in an aftermarket radio the keyless entry and/or alarm may not function. I've seen many posts of others replacing their radios in their Insights.

If I do so, will the keyless entry and alarm still function as normal?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The Insight has nothing integrated in to the stereo. I think Volkswagens are the really bad ones I've played with, but good aftermarket stereo sellers (ie Crutchfield) sell work around modules.

·
Registered
338 Posts
wow

man.....I member back in the day I put a new radio in my 98 CHB and my keyless din't work.....IT WAS IN THE STOCK STEREO!!!!

had to be one of the stupidest thing Honda ever did.....besides discontinue our beloved car,,,,,

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It works!

I am happy to report that the remote system (locks and alarm) seem unaffected by the new radio. Just remember to take your CDs out of the 6 disc changer before you drop it off. ::sigh:: I had to go back as the unit is dead without the radio. - wouldn't eject.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Enjoy your new radio, any radio is better then the stock one ;) . I have six speakers in my Insight which are all powered by a pre amp in my aftermarket stereo. The only problem I have is that when I turn the head lights on, the backlight in the stereo’s head unit flashes on and off. If I turn the backlight up on my dash the back light on the stereo turns off all together. But this is a minor annoyance and I think I know a way around it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If I turn the backlight up on my dash the back light on the stereo turns off all together
Mine does the same with a Blaupunkt head unit. The Honda dash lights all have a plus and minus connection (floating ground?). If you find a way to correct this please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
The dimming wire is responsible for switching the backlight of the stereo on and off. I’m fairly sure that if I disconnect this wire from the back of the stereo this will solve the problem. I believe this because I don’t remember having this problem until I connected the dimming wire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an Eclipse CD8455. I'm looking at the manual to my stereo and it calls my dimming wire the Illumination Power Supply wire. Its just one wire and it doesn't say if it’s positive or negative. I did not connect this wire when I originally installed the stereo and I don’t recall having this problem before connecting it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dimming issue

I had Best Buy put mine in and I haven't had any issues, even at full, screw loosening, volume. I got free installation with the unit so all I had to pay for was the "kit" - Which is another word for installation. HA! But I have great sound and the lights stay on. Just my 2 cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts