Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

2019 Honda Insight LX owner here, and the base model's radio is pretty basic.

I would like to replace it with an Android head unit, but I'm not sure if its 1-din or 2-din, or if it would work with backup camera, steering wheel controls, etc.

Has anyone done this? What was your experience like, and is it something I can do myself?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
I'm a G1 guy and I can't answer any G3 questions. I have, however, installed an EONON android unit in my Miata. Apparently the Chinese "double din" is close, but not exactly the same size as a real double din. I had to do a bit of surgery on the Metra install kit to get it to fit my dash. Measure this carefully!

Also I'm not overjoyed with the EONON unit for several reasons. I think the equivalent Pumpkin unit would be better.

Sam

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've done only minor changes to my system but since it's such a new car you might want to hold off until more information comes out about how much of the cars systems are integrated with the current head unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't seen any aftermarket unit replacements for this specific unit since it's a different one from the EX/Limited trim.

I do know that the Insight's head unit (well the whole interior) was designed by focus groups, which might change intricacies on how it's mounted compared to the civic or any other Honda that only uses capacitive buttons, so you might have to wait longer for any single or double DIN kit that specific fits the car.

Maybe someone has a manual lying around that they want to share?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bump.. still looking around, would appreciate any suggestions!
My suggestion is go to a Honda dealer parts department and see if they can show you a picture of the back of the head unit or verify there is an actual amp. Undoubtedly you'll be dealing with speaker outputs so go to the home page of "audio control" and they sell several devices that can take these outputs and change them to line level outputs. From here you can connect to your own amps and DSPs and build up the system from there. You can also buy audio control stuff at best buy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This looks like an ex model since the steering wheel didn't have leather and the vents didn't have silver edging. I was at Honda today and talked to the parts department to see if I could learn a little more about the radio connections. It seems only the touring lists a separate part number for an amp and I was able to get pictures of that amp at one point. Now the ex has the same head unit but lists no amp and the video didn't show well if the speakers came out of that head unit or if a line connects with another breakout box of some type (maybe the DNC) with lines out to the speakers. The lx has a different head unit and the pictures at the dealer parts area were Very vague so I couldn't see if the speakers came out of it directly. I'm thinking they probably are routed through another box like the ex might be. Either way the only listing for a proper amp with speaker outputs for the insight we could find was the touring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts