Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have aftermarket rims on their insight?

I'm curious to see if any would fit, or if they would look good at all, considering that the car has most of the rear wheels covered.

so, anyone got pics of an insight with rims?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Insight uses rims with the same specification as the civic.
14"x 5.5" with 45 mm offset and 4x100 bolt circle.
Many aftermarket civic rims that are 14"x6" with 48 mm offset and 4x100 bolt circle also fit just fine.

Look at the photo gallery section on this web site for several photos of various different rims on Insights. Also keep pressing the refresh button the main page and the top banner photo will keep changing.
http://www.insightracing.ca/

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The Insight rims are already _very_ light. There are probably aftermarket's that are even lighter but the difference will be smaller vs. a "heavyweight" rim. And simple weight reduction as a function of MPG is also only one small part of the equation.

Its usually better for the driver to shed a few of those extra pounds. :p

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
bpapa9013 said:
Is it possible that ultralight rims would help mpg, or are the stock ones about as light as you can go?
There are lighter aftermarket rims but they will not improve your mpg because they are not nearly as aerodynamic.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No trailer towing going on here. True, brake cooling would be reduced however, riding the brakes isn't conducive to good gas mileage therefor I don't. :) In a racing application such as the autocrossers here I would remove them. As a mater of fact aren’t all caps illegal in the autocrosses?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Those hubcaps are cool. Where'd you get them?

Unless you're racing or driving in the mountains a lot, I doubt that brake cooling is a big problem. You're not supposed to be using the brakes, anyway! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Extremely cool! I've always been a big fan of the Bonneville Salt Flats and speed records, and these things bring back a lot of memories.

But tell me, $85 each, or for a set of four? TIA - Pat

·
Registered
130 Posts
Actually the ones to fit 13" front wheel drive hubs are $95.

It actually looks like the ones Todd has are machined aluminum, not the chromed alloy on the website.

I'm still waiting to hear back from him if the ones on his car are actually the same 13" FR wheels on the mooneyes site. But if I had the choice I would take machined aluminum over chromed alloy! For weight and probably price.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice find Kevin, One thing to remember, you can't use the pop-on style on FWD wheels. They don't have a lip at the bead like a steel RWD wheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts