Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which stereo harness will fit a 2003 Insight? I don't want to cut the wires so I need an adapter harness.

I've read that the Insight takes the same harness as the '01 Civic. Is this true?

Do all Insights use the same harness?

Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also used one for a '00-01 Civic and it worked just fine. One problem I had is that the cheap harness did not include the power antenna wire. My reception seems ok and I don't use it that much but figure I will pick up one of those clip-on wire splicers. (Will still be less damaging than what the previous owner did :evil: )

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anyone have a link to that wiring harness or where I could pick one up? Thanks. I bought a kenwood and it'll arrive shortly, so Id like to order a harness.

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
You need a Metra #70-1721 harness for your Insight.
Expect to pay about $15 for this harness.

·
Registered
35 Posts
At almost any store that sells car stereos. HH Gregg, Ciuruit city, Best Buy. Or you could check online at crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com

Look for a ~2000 Civic harness. That is what I did and it works great. I think i got mine at HH gregg or Circuit City. Biggest thing is mnake sure it has a power antenna lead, if you listen to alot of AM. The roof AM antenna has a power booster for AM reception.

-Dan

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't listen to much AM but I did hook up the power lead for the antenna power booster and still get lousy AM reception. I used the power antenna lead from output of head unit, I even tried the amp power on lead and still no luck. Any ideas what may be wrong?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't listen to AM much but do at times and when I changed My head unit I connected the power antenna lead to the antennna booster lead and still get lousy reception. I even tried using the lead that powers the aux amp from head unit and still noavail. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a wiring harness plug for my sony cd player that I put in my Insight and my A\M reciever did not work, but the FM radio worked fine. While having a power amp installed, the tech doing the job said the lite blue wire had to be disconnected for the A\M radio to receive a signal. He disconnected the wire and the A\M works fine. This shop does a lot of work for the local Honda dealer.
I would suggest that you check with a local car stereo shop and they should have the same info.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wiring harness adapter...

Atheos--

Does the Metra adapter you mention take care of the AM reception issue others are mentioning?

What about the light blue wire Akhalteke mentions? I listen to AM a lot and want to get it right the first time.

Akhalteke--

I haven't opened things up yet, what wire are you talking about? Is it a wire on the adapter or in the harness the adapter fits onto?

Thanks to everyone for the info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The lite blue wire on the adapter, tagged antenna or power antenna , if I'm remembering correctly. Check with a car stereo shop, they know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The lite blue wire on the adapter, tagged antenna or power antenna , if I'm remembering correctly. Check with a car stereo shop, they know.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Insighter,
I really don't know how you could go about getting better AM reception on the insight.
Vehicle antennas are tuned for FM frequency, and AM broadcasts a much wider wavelength that car antennas are porly equipt to deal with.
An ideal antenna is 1/4 the wavelength, which is far off the mark for our tiny roof mount antennas.
When I installed my aftermarket antenna, I didn't even think to power the antenna wire, but sure enough I have ZERO AM reception.
My local NPR station comes in clearly, so I won't even bother to tinker back in my dash until I replace the sterio again (hopefully soon).
If the insight antenna is indeed a powered antenna, securing the power antenna wire on the harness should certainly help the reception, but it may only be for FM reception.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ok I pulled radio out and rechecked My connections, done exacitly like it is supposed to be, power to the blue wire(terminal 1) and still no AM reception. Ohh well guess I am religated to just having to expand My CD collection more or suffer with FM fade out. Suchh is life of a music lover **sighhh**

1 - 20 of 23 Posts