Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to disengage the passenger side airbag, so that we could put an infant seat in that chair if needed?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Read your owners manual. There is NO intended provision for turning off the passenger air bag. It could be done by disabling fuses, wiring, relays, etc; but not legally..........

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
airbag disarming

Yes, it is legal for you to disarm the airbags in your vehicle. I've done it in mine with approval from the NHTSA. Go to this URL, and request a form from the online download area. You type up the form, they send you authorization in 2-3 weeks. Keep in in your car at all times....Its your life...airbags kill!

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/n ... BOnOff.htm

There are a few aftermarket switches available...all fairly easy to install if you're relatively handy with a few tools.

http://www.airbagswitches.com

Enjoy!
Jeff-Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jeff, airbags very, very rarely have killed anybody who was buckled up. You can probably count those numbers using just one or both hands. The fools who aren't buckling up are the ones who have died from the air bag. Moreover, many airbag injuries can be avoided or minimized by keeping the seating position as far back as possible. Airbags do save alot of lives and minimize injuries to those who are smart enough to buckle up and adjust their seat position accordingly.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I agree, air bags have saved more lives than not. Don't be ignorant to safety features. I remember when seat belts became mandatory, I was against this because I never buckled up. I know of people that would have died had they had their seat belts on. But the simple fact of the matter is, more people have been saved by seat belts. The numbers just don't lie.

G

·
0 Posts
Info Here!

Here is my posting for this exact proceedure.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3399&highlight=passenger+airbag

You 'safety monitors' don't have to worry about much... anyone putting the infant chair in the insight isn't going to take the seat out much if ever AND the passenger airbag MUST be disabled one way or another or the child can be seriously hurt during deployment.

The only 'dangerous' part of this is if this proceedure disengages the drivers air bag. I don't think it does, but I don't proof one way or another.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Resist said:
I agree, air bags have saved more lives than not. Don't be ignorant to safety features. I remember when seat belts became mandatory, I was against this because I never buckled up. I know of people that would have died had they had their seat belts on. But the simple fact of the matter is, more people have been saved by seat belts. The numbers just don't lie.
I once read a quote about this very subject that was attributed to a sheriff somewhere: "I've never unbuckled a dead man".

I've always been one to "buckle up", but still it made me think.

My airbag concern has always been for a driver that sees that a collision is going to happen and instinctively raises his arms in front of his face. The airbag firing out of the steering wheel would probably inflict some serious damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts