Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what could signal a faulty passenger airbag. Honda have had recalls but not for the Insight Gen 1. My SRS light came on and the local Honda dealership say the unit needs replacing. They need to hire a tool from Honda to enable them to do this although it is a simple job at only 20 minutes.

Cost of Module Kit - £748.51 + VAT and fitting. Total cost £926.99. !!

Just wondered if there might be a loose connection that could trigger the SRS light.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Does anyone know what could signal a faulty passenger airbag. Honda have had recalls but not for the Insight Gen 1. My SRS light came on and the local Honda dealership say the unit needs replacing. They need to hire a tool from Honda to enable them to do this although it is a simple job at only 20 minutes.

Just wondered if there might be a loose connection that could trigger the SRS light.
There is a plug up above the glove box, but they are not normally known to fail. I do have a couple extra passenger airbags. I bet even with shipping it would be a lot less than the price the dealer quoted you!

EDIT: Wait never mind might be on the wrong side of the car hahah

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air bag fault

There is a plug up above the glove box, but they are not normally known to fail. I do have a couple extra passenger airbags. I bet even with shipping it would be a lot less than the price the dealer quoted you!

EDIT: Wait never mind might be on the wrong side of the car hahah
Unfortunately you're quite correct !

·
Administrator
11,456 Posts
Yes there could be a loose connection.
But we need to know the srs code before we can do much more.
You can read the blink codes or bring it up to me to read the Honda code?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just tried to read the DTC / OBDII codes for the SRS with an OBDII / E0BD reader and it claims no codes are in the car. Honda said the same about the battery.

They may have deleted the codes for the SRS once read but it doesn't help me much.

·
Administrator
11,456 Posts
Only the Honda tool can read the SRS codes directly they are on the same line as the IMA data.

If the SRS light is on there is a code stored.

Use the blink method.
Note you may have to find the SCS (Sevice Check Signal) wire in the connection to the SRS unit as it is not usually brought out to the OBDII connector in UK cars sadly. You have to ground this wire to enable the SCS, and then the SRS light will flash/blink out the codes.

A long pulse = 10
A short pulse = 1

So if you get 4 long pulses and three short ones you get 43.
If there is more than one code they will flash out in sequence.

So short the SCS, wire read the codes (treble check them) and then post them here.

The seat belt self tightening mechanism is a common issue.
Pull off the trim that covers the seat belt retractor near the bottom of the door pillar and replug the connectors.
Note all SRS connectors are yellow with fiendish double locking mechanisms, don't break anything.
Only fiddle with the SRS with the 12v battery disconnected to prevent accidental airbag deployment.

·
Registered
386 Posts

If you take out your front seat or have a bad connection that lost contact the light will come on. Had both. Did you put something unders the seat lately that could have move the hanging wires? If you did could be a connection problem
Also found my wires were in between the seat spring and The foam seat smashed. Bad for torque, as it's a hot wire basically touching ground, a no no stock torque killer.;-)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2000 Insight. And the guy that I bought it from said that there was a wire that he had someone disconnect the SRS line. Where can I find this line so that I can reconnect it?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Try downloading the service manuals from the "sticky" section of this forum. There is a whole chapter on SRS that I think shows lots of the SRS wiring and connection locations...
B

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had this exact problem, and fixed it myself last year. I would put money on it being a dodgy connection on one of the seat belt pre tensioners.

They are in the b column just under where the seat belt comes out of the bodywork. Try the passenger side first, as you can get to the plug by removing the rear left speaker. Unplug the connector (don't force it, it just needs one bit pulling back to disconnect) and plug it back in.

Then try a SRS Reset (see attachment).
http://bugone.co.uk/Insight/SRS Reset.pdf
I ignored the bit that said 'don't use a jumper wire'. It's a bit more tricky, but essentially the same thing.

If that fails to work its the driver side. Unfortunately, you can't get to it as easily. Basically, you've got to dismantle things. The trim needs to come off. Try to do it without snapping the clips. Same again, disconnect the plug and plug it back in, the a reset and cross your fingers.

I think it happens when water gets into the car and drips on the connector, eventually fouling the connection.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Drivers side.

To replace it, you have to remove the alumimum section that holds the speakers, as the lower bolt is impossible to get to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts