Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
insight 2006 MT insight 2005 MT
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to repair my air filter box because the holes where the pins were broken.
Gesture Automotive tire Finger Bumper Automotive lighting

Inside the holes are steel tubes which rust and break the plastic.
Brown Wood Door Motor vehicle Fixture

To make my repair, I had to remove what was left of the rusting steel tubes. I think
soaking in the acid would have been good, but I did it with a metal pick and drill.

I looked for metal tubes with the correct inside diameter, but could not find anything. I finally bought 2 brass screws (so it wouldn't rust) and drilled them to make tubes. this step is the most difficult, we have to take the time to drill well in the center and have the perfect alignment.
Wood Office supplies Writing implement Office equipment Electric blue

I put them in place and cut with the dremel, but it heats up enough to melt the plastic, so I finished cutting while holding the part in a Bench vise.
Wood Automotive lighting Bumper Wood stain Audio equipment

Then it was enough to melt plastic to make the tube firmly fixed
Finger Wood Electric blue Gas Bumper

Bumper Camera accessory Gas Machine Automotive tire

Wood Camera accessory Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Cameras & optics

I put some grease inside to make the Wire Clip slide better and voila, another part of insight saving.
If your air box is in good state, it is a good idea to put grease in wire hole to prevent rusting like mine

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I finally bought 2 brass screws (so it wouldn't rust) and drilled them to make tubes. this step is the most difficult, we have to take the time to drill well in the center and have the perfect alignment.
Impressive fix! I have the same problem, and am going to have to do this someday. Thanks for blazing the trail!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Could probably find some stainless steel roll pins a suitable size to save a tricky drilling job. Do you have the dimensions? Might be worth swapping out originals as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
insight 2006 MT insight 2005 MT
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I never saw a new air box, but don't think changing the metal sleeve preventively is an option.
from what I saw, I believe the metal sleeve was inserted into the mold when this part was made.
the screw I used is 10-32 X 1 1/2 and I used a 3/32 bit to make the hole
If we can find a stainless steel roll pin with the right size, it can be a good solution more easy that wat I did.

However, I would say the threading of my screw helped the plastic that I melted to hold the screw better but maybe it's not necessary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts